Gluten-Free Cornbread

Home Forums Recipes Gluten-Free Cornbread

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

This is my version of a recipe I found on the Gluten-Free-Girl site, but I've changed it a little. It's changed several times on that site, too.

We like it better than the kind made with wheat flour, so this has become our standard cornbread recipe. It is great with maple syrup. You could probably use 1 cup of any gluten-free flour mix instead of the first four ingredients; most mixes already have some xanthan gum in them, but usually not enough, so I'd cut the xanthan gum to 1/2 teaspoon.

1/4 cup sweet rice flour
      1/4 cup potato starch
      1/4 cup sorghum flour
      1/4 cup tapioca starch
      1/3 cup sugar
      4 teaspoons baking powder
      3/4 teaspoon salt
      1 teaspoon xanthan gum

2 ounces shortening (by weight), a little over 1/4 cup
      2 large eggs
      1 cup milk
      1 cup yellow corn meal

Grease an 8x8 glass pan. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. (If using a metal pan, set oven to 425.)

Mix dry ingredients except corn meal, then cut in shortening until you have mostly pea-sized pieces. (I usually do it with a fork.)

Add the eggs and milk and stir with a spatula until mostly mixed--do not overmix!

Add corn meal and stir with a spatula until mostly mixed in--do not overmix!

Pour in pan and bake for 25 minutes or until top is mostly brown.

This recipe works well with blueberries. I put half of the batter in the pan, put in 1/2 cup or more of blueberries, then spread the rest of the batter on top. Increase baking time by 2-3 minutes.

This cornbread will keep 2-3 days.

To use it for gluten-free stuffing, I use only 2 tablespoons of sugar. I cut it into 1 inch cubes and let it dry overnight.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by Mike Nolan.
      skeptic7
      Participant

I've made gluten free corn bread for friends, but I do this by going Southern style and using an all corn meal cornpone recipe or a spoon bread recipe. I've made pumpkin cornsticks which are not only gluten free, but also vegan.

Here is the Southern cornpone and them my pumpkin variant.

Buttermilk Pone bread
        from Down-Home Wholesome by Danella Carter page 101
        Copyright 1995, Dutton Signet, Penguin Books, New York, New York 10014

This is a no-nonsense bread made the way a lot of Southerners make it. Unlike a lot of the cornmeal breads of the North, this one is free of sugar and eggs.

2 cups cornmeal
        1 cup boiling water
        1 cup 1 percent fat buttermilk
        1 teaspoon baking soda
        1/2 teaspoon salt.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Butter an 8 inch square baking pan, In a large mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal with the boiling water. Mix the buttermilk with the baking soda and add to the cornmeal, along with the salt. Beat thoroughly and pour into the baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes, until brown on top. Cut into squares, Make 9 squares

Pumpkin cornbread variant, made in cast-iron corn stick pan

2 cups cornmeal
        1 cup boiling water
        1 -1/4 cup pumpkin puree
        4 teaspoons baking powder
        oil for corn stick pan

This variant is dairy free, egg-free, gluten-free and can be easily made low-salt.
        In a large mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal with the boiling water. Mix in the pumpkin puree. Sprinkle the baking powder on top and mix in thoroughly. Add a spoonful or two more of pumpkin if the dough seems too dry.
        Heat the oven to 400 degrees. The lower temperature is due to the cast iron pan that absorbs heat well. Oil the cornstalk pans generously using a brush to get oil in all the crevices. This is the only fat in the recipe so there is no reason to be stingy. Enough oil gives a fried texture to the bottom of the bread and allow for an easy release.
        Spoon the dough into the cornstalk pans just to the top. This fills my cornstalk pan -- 5 decorative corn ears -- twice. Filling the indentations too generously reduces the number of ears from 10 to 9.
        Bake for 30 minutes until done and pulling away from the sides. Let cool 10 minutes and then remove the corn sticks. They should be prettily brown on the bottom and come out cleanly.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.