Fruit Flies

Home Forums General Discussions Fruit Flies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

We had some tomatoes that got forgotten about and developed a swarm of fruit flies (or maybe fungus gnats) over the last week or so.

I tried the vinegar/soap in a bowl thing, it got some, I tried some of the yellow sticky traps, they have yet to catch any.

So, I went out and got a Black Flag bug zapper racket. It runs on 2 AA batteries and works great, I've probably gotten 2 dozen of them in the last hour.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

Mike--We are also dealing with an invasion of fruit flies, and we, too, have found that the vinegar traps are only somewhat effective. Some of the flies look larger than the usual fruit flies. I'm wondering if I need to use larger holes in the traps.

Does the Black Flag bug zapper make a noise when you use it? I ask because our dog is very sensitive to sounds such as hammering, gun shots (hunting season and people target shooting is a problem here), or even the smack of a rolled-up magazine or a fly swatter.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Yes, it makes a snap and you'll see a flash of light.

I think I got 3 dozen of them first thing this morning. I think we're making a dent in them, but what we really need to make sure is that we don't have any produce out or other places where they can breed the next generation. Adult fruit flies can live 3-4 weeks, so it won't be an overnight cure.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

You probably don't want the dog too close to where you're zapping anyway. But for under $15, it's the best investment I've made in weeks.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

It appears fruit flies really like the smell of bread dough, probably the fermentation odors.

They also like my rye and wheat sourdough starters, I've had to start double-covering them.

They don't seem nearly as interested in bread after it has baked.

BakerAunt
              Participant

I have also noticed that fruit flies find sourdough starters attractive. With bread dough, I think the yeast attracts them, so when the bread bakes, and the yeast is gone, so is their interest.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.