Frico Caldo

Home Forums Recipes Frico Caldo

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Frico Caldo

This recipe appeared in the Southwest Airlines Spirit magazine (April 2012), in which the chef, Lachlan McKinnon-Patterson, executive chef at Frasca Food and Wine in Boulder Colorado, describes it thus: "In Friuli, the northeasternmost region of Italy, restaurants and bars typically put out little bowls of crackers called frico picante, made with Montasio, a local cow's milk cheese. You'll also find frico caldo, which is similar but heartier, with potatoes and onions. It is usually eaten with salad, so as a nod to the region, we drizzle ours with a thick vinaigrette made with sherry vinegar, shallots, and cilantro. This dish has been a signature at the restaurant since shortly after it opened. Our menu changes with the seasons, but it will always be there."

1 large Yukon Gold potato
      1/2 large onion, minced
      1 Tbs. butter
      4 ounces grated Montasio cheese
      salt
      fresh nutmeg
      grapeseed oil

1. Poach the potato in a pot of salted water until tender, about 45 minutes, then peel and crush it. In a saute pan, cook the onion in butter over moderate heat until translucent. Combine the potato, onion, and cheese, then add salt and freshly grated nutmeg to taste.
      2. Heat a 5-inch square cast-iron pan on high heat. Coat the bottom with grapeseed oil, then add half of the potato mixture. Cook until golden brown, about five minutes. Flip and cook again. Repeat with the rest of mixture.
      3. Cut into wedges and drizzle with cilantro vinaigrette (2 Tbs. chopped cilantro, 2 Tbs. grapeseed oil, and 2 tsp. minced shallots--mixed together, then add sherry vinegar and salt to taste.

Notes: I tried it with a russet potato and cheddar cheese. I did not use the nutmeg or make the vinaigrette. Four minutes was long enough. I suggest going ahead and shaping it into a square before putting it in the pan. I plan to play with this recipe, but I am posting it, since there was interest, so that others can play as well.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.