Eggnog Cake

Home Forums Recipes Eggnog Cake

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Eggnog Cake

This is my substantial adaptation of a recipe that appeared on the KAF site. It was designed for special mini-silicone pans that KAF sold, so I had to experiment to see how long it should bake in other pans that I and other people might actually own. I have included at the end of the recipe the pans I've used and the baking time for each. The original recipe also used 1 cup milk and 1/4 tsp eggnog flavoring. That seemed silly to me, so I substituted a low-fat organic eggnog. I also changed the mixing directions, which initially called for creaming the butter, oil, and sugar together. It was impossible to get the butter creamed in if I did it that way, so I start with the butter and then add the oil. This is a very light cake that keeps well and also freezes well.

1 1/4 cups sugar
      1/2 cup (one stick) unsalted butter (room temperature)
      1/2 cup vegetable oil (I use canola oil)
      3 large eggs
      1/2 tsp. salt
      1/4 tap. nutmeg
      1 tsp. vanilla

2 1/4 cups KAF unbleached flour (can substitute in 1/4 Cup white whole wheat flour)
      2 tsp. baking powder
      1 cup eggnog (I use low-fat and organic)

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour a 9-10 cup Bundt pan or variety of pans. (See below.)

Cream together butter and sugar. Add oil and mix in. Add eggs, vanilla, salt, and nutmeg. Beat until pale yellow and thick.

Whisk together flour and baking powder. Beginning and ending with flour mixture, alternate adding flour mixture and eggnog. Beat until smooth (lower speed on my hand mixer). This recipe makes about 10 cups of batter, but does fit in some 9 cup pans.

Ladle batter into prepared pan or pans, and bake according to times given below.

9-10 cup Bundt pan: 50-60 minutes

8 cup Nordic Ware "Fancy Loaves" pan (four joined together), with extra batter put into other small loaf pans: 35 minutes

Two "mini-harvest" Nordic Ware loaf pans (each 5 cups) with six mini-loaves per pan: 25 minutes

Nordic Ware pumpkin loaf pan (6 cup)--with extra batter based in another pan; 35-40 minutes.

Nordic Ware 9 cup Christmas or 9-cup Autumn Wreath pans: Bake 40 minutes.

Nordic Ware Quartet Pan (four Bundt Cakes in one pan)--each 9 cups--Bake 30 minutes. (I have two different quartet pans)

Nordic Ware Christmas 8-loaf mini pan (6 cups) plus Nordic Ware 6 snowflakes pan. Bake the loaves for 25 minutes and the snowflake muffin pan for 22 minutes.

I continue to explore other pan sizes and encourage you to do the same.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by BakerAunt.
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by BakerAunt.
      BakerAunt
      Participant

Recently I baked this cake again. I used Gold Medal AP flour. I used full-fat eggnog, and I beat in each egg individually. It gave the cake a softer texture, so I recommend these changes.

cwcdesign
        Participant

BakerAunt, do you put a glaze on the eggnog cake?

BakerAunt
          Participant

Cwcdesign--I rarely glaze Bundt cakes, as they are moist, but if you want to glaze it, go ahead--maybe a rum glaze?

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by BakerAunt.
            BakerAunt
            Participant

I recently formulated a version of this cake lower in saturated fat. If you wish to bake that variation, delete the butter and use a total of 2/3 cup canola oil. Begin by beating the oil and the sugar together, then beat in each egg separately.

In addition, to increase the wholegrains, I substituted 1 cup of barley flour for 1 cup of the regular flour. I recommend that change if you wish to increase wholegrains in your diet. In fact barley flour, because of its low gluten, works quite well when substituted into cake and quick bread recipes.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by BakerAunt.
              BakerAunt
              Participant

Note: This recipe will fit TWO of the Nordic Ware 4-well Nutcracker cakelet pans.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.