Don’t expect low strawberry prices this year

Home Forums General Discussions Don’t expect low strawberry prices this year

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

According to an article in the Wall Street Journal, strawberries are currently selling at $18 wholesale per 8 pound flat.

Driscolls recommended its growers cut back on strawberry plants a year ago (it takes a year before new plants bear fruit) because in March of 2020 strawberries weren't selling well due to the pandemic. So, this year there's a shortage of berries.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I gave up on commercial strawberries a couple of years ago. I have been spoiled by the ones I bought locally. I am not sure if the hard freeze we had a couple of weeks ago affected them. I will be keeping my eye out at the farmers' market. I would like enough that I can make jam.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Local berries are always great, but last year they were getting $5 or more for a pint of berries at the farmer's market. I haven't been to the local berry farm in quite a few years, not sure I've got the legs and knees to handle picking them myself anymore.

BakerAunt
          Participant

We do not have any You Pick strawberry places close to where we live. We would have to drive an hour. My husband put some plants on our terrace, but they have never produced any fruit, even though there are some flowers.

chocomouse
            Participant

I grew strawberries for about 10 years, 3 rows, each about 25 ft long. They were extremely labor intensive - to grow and to pick. So I quit. However, my husband had put in a 30 ft long curving flagstone walkway from the porch to the garden -- to keep his feet clean and dry, since he walked early every the morning through the wet grass and into the dirt garden to pick berries for his cereal, resulting in muddy feet -- and that walkway is still there.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.