Did You Cook Anything Interesting the Week of November 27, 2016?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) Did You Cook Anything Interesting the Week of November 27, 2016?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Tuesday was another throw together dinner of sautéed mushrooms, the drippings from pork chops my husband had cooked on Sunday. the cubed last pork chop, and some peas--all mixed with some spinach pasta. On Wednesday, I experimented with Butternut Curry Soup for lunch. I used 2 cups pureed butternut squash (roasted and frozen earlier this year), 1 1/2 cups chicken/turkey broth, 2 tsp. of Penzey's "The Now Curry," and 6 oz. of full-fat, plain Brown Cow Yogurt. It's good, but next time I'll reduce the curry to 1 1/2 tsp.. On Thursday, I made a salmon loaf.

Spread the word
      Italiancook
      Participant

I made Navy Bean Soup for the freezer. I had purchased a previously cooked ham bone that had quite a bit of ham left on it. The soup turned out delicious, but the ham had seen better days, so I removed most of it from the soup. The flavor of it was gone.

Early in the week, we had spaghetti using Basic Tomato Sauce from "Papa Rossi's Secrets of Italian Cooking." This is my go-to sauce for a quick meal. It takes only an hour to cook.

Yesterday, I made Manicotti using "The Romagnoli's Table." I made 2-9" square dishes-full. I froze one, and we ate half of one. Looking forward to having it for lunch today.

I also make Kelsey Nixon's Slow Cooker Irish Oatmeal.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by Italiancook.
        • This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by Italiancook.
        cwcdesign
        Participant

Early in the week I made a meatloaf that has puréed vegetables as its binder and used rolled oats for the bread component to stick to my diet. It was a successful adaptation. I also made Sheet Pan Fajitas with Penzey's Fajita Seasoning instead of the packet, some turkey soup and last night I roasted some local shrimp. I forgot that I made Mediterranean tuna and white bean salad for lunches. This is one you can pack in mason jars with spinach. Nice to have ready when I get home from work.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by cwcdesign.
          Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

My mother always used oatmeal as the binder in meat loaf, sometimes adding an egg.

I've got a recipe posted for meat loaf with a can of black beans and sauteed mushrooms, it's a bit high in carbs for my wife these days, but it's delicious.

luvpyrpom
            Participant

Besides finishing the Thanksgiving leftovers, I made roast sirloin pork on Sunday, a stirfry of flank steak and pickled mustard green on Tuesday. The mustard green was so salty, that we finished up the beef with the mustard green as leftover. So I added tofu for the leftover pickled greens. Also made soy sauce drumsticks on Friday. Made a huge antipasto salad to take to work for potluck. It was a nice salad because it could sit out without anyone getting worried as the dressing didn't have any dairy in it.

As for the meatloaf, when my mom made it, she only used rolled oats and eggs as the binder. And not much veggies, either. I think it was just beef, oats, eggs, and ketchup.

BakerAunt
              Participant

My meatloaf, that I learned to make from my Mom, also has oats and an egg. With such a large family, it was also a way of stretching the meat in a healthy way. She liked to add an 8 ox can of tomato sauce, and sometimes even a bit of evaporated milk, along with onion, celery, and bell pepper. In addition to being a binder, I think that the oats help with the cholesterol from the meat and egg.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by BakerAunt.
              Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.