Did You Cook Anything Interesting the Week of November 20, 2016?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) Did You Cook Anything Interesting the Week of November 20, 2016?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Because we had our Thanksgiving dinner last weekend, and we were traveling and visiting family this week, I did not cook anything this week. However, I look forward to reading about what others cooked this week!

Spread the word
      Italiancook
      Participant

A friend of the family organized my photos for me. While she was here, I made a small pot of what was supposed to be Vegetable Beef Soup. I had a pound of cut-up chuck roast in the freezer. I used that and divided my soup recipe into thirds, as I normally make it with 3 pounds of beef. I know I put in too much barley and one potato too many, but I may have also miscalculated the liquid. I ended up with stew not soup. But she enjoyed it and didn't know I had planned soup. I just told her it was Vegetable Beef Stew.

I made stovetop Rice Pudding for her dessert.

Another day, I made a double batch of Carrot Soup. This time, I remembered to pull out the bay leaves before I used the immersion blender on it. I ended up with 3 quarts for the freezer and enough for one meal.

rottiedogs
        Participant

I made stuffed peppers and jagerschnitzel with cabbage and cinnamon apples. Unfortunately the grilling season is at an end. I might sneak in one more but it doesn't look good.

cwcdesign
          Participant

I've been trying lots of South Beach diet type recipes and forgetting to post about them. when I repeat the recipes, I'll try to remember. I did roast a turkey breast and it was moist and tender. We had green beans, sweet potatoes and I made PF stuffing for the boys. On Friday, I made a crockpot chicken taco filling that was easy and really good.

I found a recipe website that I've been enjoying. Not only does she do recipes for South Beach, but also low carb diets, Paleo, gluten-free and others. Many recipes work for multiple diets. kalynskitchen.com

Joan Simpson
            Participant

I made a pot of vegetable soup with fresh pimento cheese for sandwiches.The weather is a little cooler here so we're ready for some soup.I love the edit button on here Mike as I noticed I had posted on the wrong category so I copied,pasted and deleted,thank you from this Georgia girl lol.Boy I can mess something up, smiling here though.Also made some Brunswick Stew which we shared with our aunt.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by Joan Simpson.
              • This reply was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by Joan Simpson.
              Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

There are sites I've been on where disallowing editing or drastically limiting it was necessary to prevent or control flame wars, but hopefully a baking/cooking site won't ever be that controversial. (In the history of USENET, one of the most prolonged and vicious flame wars was in a group for people who have aquariums, so I guess you never know.)

luvpyrpom
                Participant

Sorry, I can't remember what I made the past week other than the dishes for Thanksgiving. I just remember there were a lot of nights with leftovers prior to Thanksgiving and then after that day, there were more leftovers. I'm trying to eat out of the freezers so I have room for the holiday cookie baking I have coming up.

aaronatthedoublef
                  Participant

I made my usual Thanksgiving pies. My pumpkin crust was better than my pecan. I need to work on my blind baking.

One of my sons was doing a report on Winston Churchill and asked if I would make a Winston Churchill fruitcake. The directions were very sparse and it did not seem like a traditional English fruitcake recipe to me. I did use currants but I had no candied citrus peel, no place to buy it, and no desire to make it.

It said "bake in a moderate oven for two hours". I guess moderate was 350 but it was done in an hour... It could have used a glaze on the top but it was pretty tasty.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

I would assume the most important ingredient in a Winston Churchill fruitcake was brandy. Or given Sir Winston's reputation, maybe port?

BevM
                      Participant

I have a recipe for fruitcake that I used to make back in the '70's that is moist and delicious probably due to the fact that it is soaked in brandy and aged for a couple of weeks. I like it but the family has decided they don't. I haven't made it in years.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

Around the time that were first married (1972) someone gave us a small jar of brandied fruit. It was great on cake or ice cream. We would add canned fruit to it (usually fruit cocktail in sugar syrup) every now and then to keep it going, it didn't require refrigeration.

We even bought a big blue glass jar to keep it in. It moved with us to Nebraska and from the duplex we had when we first moved to Lincoln to our first house, and I think it was still going when we moved to this house in 1997.

At one point we must have screwed something up because it developed mold, we probably weren't using it enough. We threw out the fruit but kept the big blue jar, it currently has refrigerator dill pickles in it, not brandied fruit. Those pickles are probably about 10 years old at this point and are pretty potent!

aaronatthedoublef
                          Participant

Ahhhh... One more reason the authenticity of this recipe was suspect - it contained no alcohol. It was sort of like a pound cake with dried fruit.

And looking back at my notes, the English (and Aussies) cover their fruitcakes with marmalade and then seal it with marzipan! I remember doing this part. I chose to just cover the top and not the entire cake. But their is one chance to get it right because after the marzipan meets the marmalade it is not budging!

In hindsight the smart thing to do would have been to make the marzipan larger than the cake and then just trim it. But I do not anticipate anyone asking me for a wedding cake anytime soon.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.