Deep Dish Pizza Bagels?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Deep Dish Pizza Bagels?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

The Chicago Tribune has an article (available to subscribers only) on a Chicago restaurant that is doing deep dish pizza bagels, a take on the classic Chicago deep dish pizza. They call the shape a 'bagel dough cup', boiled and baked then filled with sauce and baked a second time. Sounds interesting to try.

They also make what they call daisy dogs, sort of a spin on pigs in a blanket. They cut a Vienna Beef hot dog (sigh!) into six pieces and wrap them in bagel dough. I don't know if they boil them before baking them (probably), but they sprinkle them with poppy seeds before baking them.

And they use what they call 'Chicago Sauce' on the daisy dogs, which is a sauce made by a Chicago company that has all 7 of the classic ingredients on a Chicago hot dog: Mustard, day-glow green relish, pickles, onions, tomato wedges, celery salt, and sport peppers. I need to get some of that!

Spread the word
      navlys
      Participant

Sounds interesting but too much work for dogs in a blanket. For a wine event I made crescent roll pigs in a blanket (smoked sausage) with rosemary springs around the rolls and a cranberry mustard sauce in the middle. I found the idea on the internet. Not a sophisticated crowd and they went quickly.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

The ones in bagel dough and served with Chicago sauce do seem like a bit of work, but I've made pigs in a blanket a few times and they seemed like a lot of work for a pretty pedestrian result, even if you use the dough in a tube.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.