Daily Quiz for August 19, 2019

Home Forums Followups to Daily Quizzes Daily Quiz for August 19, 2019

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

What ‘people foods’ are safe for cats?

[See the full post at: Daily Quiz for August 19, 2019]

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

Years ago, I had a wonderful cat, so I know this answer. Now, we have a dog, and I suspect that the answers listed here are also applicable to dogs. Of course, Australian Cattle dogs are unusual in many ways: ours cannot tolerate beef, and we joke that it was bred into them to keep them from sampling the livestock as they worked the cattle! 🙂

Joan Simpson
        Participant

Got it.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Most of the things that dogs and cats shouldn't eat are the same. Dogs seem to have a better tolerance for raw meat than cats these days, but if I had a dog I wouldn't give it raw meat because of the potential for food-borne illnesses.

One choice I didn't put on the list is raw yeasted dough. The yeast can ferment in an animal's stomach, producing alcohol and upsetting the microbial balance in their intestines.

Interestingly enough, I read an article recently that said while people have kept cats for several millennia, true domestication may only have occurred in the last 300 or so years.

The Wall Street Journal had a funny cartoon the other day: A cat sitting on the sidewalk with a sign in front of it reading: Will do absolutely nothing for food.

Italiancook
            Participant

As a cat person, I laughed aloud about the WSJ cartoon. So true.

skeptic7
              Participant

I did a guess and it was correct.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.