Daily Quiz for April 9, 2020

Home Forums Followups to Daily Quizzes Daily Quiz for April 9, 2020

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Pastrami is sometimes made from brisket, like corned beef, but it can also be made from what other primal cut of beef?

[See the full post at: Daily Quiz for April 9, 2020]

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I had no idea, and so guessed wildly and incorrectly.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by BakerAunt.
        Italiancook
        Participant

I knew this even though I don't like pastrami. I have no idea where I gathered this knowledge.

RiversideLen
          Participant

I didn't know it was made from anything other than brisket but was able to get the right answer by process of elimination.

I seldom have it, but pastrami on rye with mustard and a dill pickle on the side is yummy!

Joan Simpson
            Participant

I missed it,had no idea but I like it.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

Pastrami is IMHO harder to make than corned beef, because it has to be smoked and it generally uses a spice rub, too. A former business partner of mine lived in NYC for a while and got hooked on pastrami from Katz's Deli on Houston. (That's the one in "When Harry Met Sally".) He'd order a whole pastrami from them and pig out on it for a week.

I tried making some Montreal Smoked Meat a few years back, it is kind of an offshoot of pastrami, it wasn't quite as good as the stuff we had in Ottawa, but it was pretty good. If I had a real smoker it would probably have been better, but all I've got is a wood chip tray for my gas grill. I made it from some brisket.

A friend of ours it talking about opening up a food truck in a few years to do BBQ. I've been working with him some on menu planning issues. He's got a good smoker, I might try making some more MSM and have him smoke it for me.

skeptic7
                Participant

I guessed wildly and correctly. I love pastrami in sandwiches.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by skeptic7.
                Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.