Dad’s Chop Suey

Home Forums Recipes Dad’s Chop Suey

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Italiancook
    Participant

This recipe is typed exactly as my dad wrote it. Notes from my experience are at the end.

Buy a piece of pork shoulder -- 1 pound to 1-1/4 pound. Cut meat into small cubes or pieces. Brown meat thoroughly, using a little water, not too much, but don't burn it.

Chop up 1 or 2 onions. Add to meat when fairly brown. Continue cooking slowly. Add 2 or 3 stalks of celery that has been cut up into small pieces, or as much celery as you want, remembering that by the time you get everything in, you'll have a lot of chop suey.

Do not cook meat too much, only enough to brown. Add 1-1/2 cup water to celery, 2 tablespoons LaChoy soy sauce, 1 teaspoon sugar, pepper to taste. Cover & simmer until meat & celery are cooked to suit you.

Blend 2 tablespoons cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water. Add some soy sauce to this. Take some of the hot broth from chop suey & add this back to the chop suey.

By now, the meat, celery & onions are cooked. Add 1 can bean sprouts (drained). Cook no more than 15 minutes. After about 5 minutes, add 4 ounces canned chopped mushrooms (drained) & 1 can sliced water chestnuts (drained).

Serve over warmed, canned chow mein noodles or hot rice.

NOTES: (1) I have never "browned" the pork shoulder. I don't think it can brown in a little water. I cook it until it changes color then go to the next step. (2) I have never used sugar in this recipe, and it still tastes good. (3) The recipe says to cut the celery "into small pieces." That results in the celery being too soft. I cut the celery into 1" or larger chunks to have celery a little firmer when finished cooking.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by Italiancook.
      • This topic was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by Italiancook.
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.