Crispy Oven Fish and Chips with Dill Tartar Sauce

Home Forums Recipes Crispy Oven Fish and Chips with Dill Tartar Sauce

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Crispy Oven Fish and Chips with Dill Tartar Sauce (adapted by Marliss Desens)

This recipe came from Chefs Catalog, which had great recipes at their site before the company was bought and cannibalized by Target. I adapted that recipe by changing some instructions, particularly for the chips. I usually make about half the tartar sauce but give the full amount here. It would work very well for fish sandwiches. The original recipe was for 1 ½ pounds of cod, so I have adjusted it.

FOR TARTAR SAUCE:
      1 cup mayonnaise
      3 Tbs. fresh dill (I use 1 Tbs. dried)
      3 Tbs. dill pickles, minced (I use my favorite German dill pickle)
      1 Tbs. parsley, minced (or up to 1 tsp. dried)
      1 ½ Tbs. lemon juice
      1 ½ tsp. grated onion, optional (I used ¾ tsp. Penzey’s roasted onion powder.)

FOR CHIPS:
      3 large Russet potatoes
      ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
      ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper (I omit)
      Salt and pepper to taste

FOR THE FISH:
      3 Tbs. olive oil (I rub the fish with olive oil instead of measuring or using a brush.)
      1 cup panko
      ¼ cup AP flour
      Salt and pepper to taste
      1 large egg (original used 3 large egg whites or two whole eggs)
      1 pound of cod (if frozen, I thaw overnight in refrigerator)

In a small mixing bowl, combine ingredients for tartar sauce. Cover and chill until ready to serve.

Preheat oven to 400F. Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment. (I used a half-sheet pan for the potatoes, and a smaller sheet pan for the cod.)

Spread panko on large parchment-lined baking sheet and toast in oven for 5-7 minutes. (For my oven, 5 min. is fine.) Empty into third compartment of breading tray and return parchment to half-sheet pan.

Cut washed potatoes into wedges by first cutting the potato in half lengthwise, then cutting each half lengthwise into three wedges. (Note: the original recipe cut the potatoes into ¼-inch thick sticks.) Place potatoes in large mixing bowl and toss with oil (and if desired cayenne pepper) to coat thoroughly.

Set up breading tray. In first tray put flour, in second tray whisk eggs, in third tray put the toasted Panko.

Spread oil covered potatoes on half-sheet lined baking pan that was used for the Panko. Pour any oil remaining from the potatoes from the bowl on top of the potatoes. Bake on middle rack of oven for 35 minutes. (If you do the smaller potato cut, the recipe says top rack for 15 min.)

Lightly brush each piece of fish with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper if desired. Dip fish into the flour, dust off any excess, then dip into egg, and finally the toasted panko. Place coated fish onto lined baking sheet.

After potatoes have cooked 35 min., remove from oven and use spatula (or tongs) to turn them over. Return sheet to BOTTOM oven rack for another 15 min. or until golden brown and crisp, while the fish is also cooking.

Place baking sheet with coated fish on a top rack (for my oven, next to top rack) and bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. The fish should be just cooked through. (I tested one with a fork to see if it flaked.) Remove fish and potatoes from the oven. Serve with chilled tartar sauce and malt vinegar if desired.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I often make a simple tartar sauce using just mayo and some dill pickle, adding some dried dill weed is something I may try.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.