Chop Suey

Home Forums General Discussions Chop Suey

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Italiancook
    Participant

Last night, I watched a You Tube video from Glen & Friends Cooking. It was for 1938 Chop Suey. I expected to see something similar to my dad's Chop Suey. I sure was surprised by the video. The recipe uses ground beef, rice & macaroni with stewed tomatoes. It's baked. It's nothing like my dad's recipe. Having seen the 1938 version, I decided to put my dad's recipe in the Recipes section.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Your recipe seems much more like the sort of thing my mother would have made. Ground beef, pasta, baked?? None of that sounds like 'chop suey' to me!

Wikipedia says 'chop suey' is made with eggs, aside from egg foo yung and fried rice, and a few soups, I've not seen much egg in Asian-American cooking.

Italiancook
        Participant

I agree with you, Mike. The recipe from the 1938 cookbook doesn't sound like chop suey to me, either. My dad's recipe uses pork shoulder, not ground beef. It has no pasta and no rice. It's cooked stove top, not baked. Nevertheless, it is Americanized chop suey, and you may feel free to delete the recipe, if you want. I just posted it because it's different than the 1938 recipe I saw on You Tube.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Italiancook.
          BakerAunt
          Participant

I'm glad you posted the recipe, Italian Cook! Thank you also for giving us its history for your family.

navlys
            Participant

One of my mother's most memorable recipes was her "American chop suey". My friends loved it, my husband loved it and I loved it until the day I made it and ate it when I was pregnant. That was it for me and now although I know it had ground beef , macaroni and tomato sauce I cannot for the life of me remember the rest and I don't think I want to.

aaronatthedoublef
              Participant

I've forgotten all about American Chop Suey. My kids would love it but might object to the name with their new age sensibilities.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Aaron--Call it American Mash-Up.

aaronatthedoublef
                  Participant

Good idea!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.