Busy and Expensive Day

Home Forums General Discussions Busy and Expensive Day

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    S_Wirth
    Participant

In the night, I heard my refrigerator making a noise. When I got up this morning it was still making the noise. It was 26 years old so it didn't owe us anything.

I called a business 15 miles from us to see if they had one like I had. They had black and stainless. I didn't want either so they found a white one. I said I'd take it and he told me what the total cost would be. I asked when they could be here with it and he said afternoon. He said the crew was in my town on a job and they could not rush the job.

He called me right back and said he'd load mine up and drive it over to where the crew was working so they would not have to go back to the business, load and come to my place. He said that would cut off the time I'd have to wait. I thought that was nice and they came at 11:A.

I'm worn out unloading all the stuff and sorting thru all of it and loading the new one up.

I did find two full pounds of slivered apricots so that was nice.

This business does free delivery and hauls off the old. They offer 90 days same as cash.

Spread the word
      chocomouse
      Participant

Wow! What could have been a long and costly process went very well for you. It's so nice to hear that there are businesses that still offer good, personalized service. I bet it is a small "mom and pop" type of business, too. And I bet you'll use some of those almonds to bake them cookies! or scones? or something!

BakerAunt
        Participant

I'm glad that you were able to get such good service S. Wirth, and that they found the right color as well. 26 years is a good run. Enjoy the new refrigerator--in the right color!

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Around here if you can get an appliance replaced in a week, you've done well. It can take that long just to get a repairman out.

RiversideLen
            Participant

It's always a sad day when an appliance bites the dust. The good news is, the new model is more energy efficient and you will notice a drop in your electric usage.

My old fridge was about 25 years old and working fine but I knew it's days were numbered so I did a preemptive strike and bought a new one. This was 5 years ago. When it was about 2 years old I noticed it was having real short run times so I Youtube'd it and found the solution. It needed a new defrost timer and the video showed my how to replace it and where I could buy it. It was under $20 with shipping, not bad. Solved the problem and saved me the expense of a service call. The new timer lasted 3 years (better than the 2 years the original lasted) and I replaced it about a month ago. This time, though, I bought 2 of them, now I have a spare on hand.

BakerAunt
              Participant

When my Maytag washing machine--stored two years in the shed--could finally be moved into the house and hooked up, it had developed a problem: it cannot go past the wash and initial spin cycle. It is stuck on that time, and repeats the cycle. I had to call Maytag to find out who could repair it, and they gave me the number of a company that works in this area. The guy came out on Wednesday, but according to his "test" program, the machine is fine. However, it is still unable to advance to the rinse cycle and beyond. He left, promising an answer for me, which I hope will come this week. I suspect that two years in the unheated and uncooled shed has mucked up the central processing unit. I may have to calculate the cost-benefit of an expensive repair versus replacement. It's a Maytag Epic front loader I bought eleven years ago.

So much for the legendary Maytag repairman.

The guy did fix the dryer in the stack unit in the garage apt., so at least we can do laundry out there.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt.
                Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

Our SubZero refrigerator-in-a-drawer doesn't appear to be cooling at all today, I've suspected it wasn't cooling well for a while, veggies weren't lasting as long as thought they should. I cleaned the coils, but I don't think that's going to fix the problem. SubZero is better than most appliance companies at keeping parts in stock, but it usually takes several weeks to get one diagnosed, get parts ordered and have them installed.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

It's an appliance apocalypse!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.