Bread Cloche

Home Forums Baking — Savory Bread Cloche

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I suspect the physics behind the cold cloche method and the hot Dutch oven method are different.

Here's my guess as to what is happening with these two methods, both related to what's happening with the thermal mass of the baking vehicle:

A cold cloche is going to take longer to get up to the ambient temperature of the oven, resulting in a slower warm-up of the dough, extending the period during which oven spring occurs. That's why it takes longer for the bread to bake than it does just putting the dough in the oven. That probably makes this method similar to starting the bread in a cold oven.

A hot Dutch oven is going to produce an initial burst of steam, cooling and softening the crust in the early stages of baking. Where the dough touches the hot surface of the pan is going to behave differently than where it touches the hot (and steamy) air. My admittedly limited experience with the Dutch oven method is that it shortens the baking time.

I think there's value in both methods, but I don't think they're interchangeable.

I've got a Meater Plus wireless meat thermometer, but I'm not sure it'd be safe to use it with bread. Otherwise it would be interesting to see how the internal and ambient (air inside the cloche/Dutch Oven) temperatures change over time. I'm not sure the bluetooth signal would get through the metal of a Dutch oven, though. Maybe two or three corded oven thermometers would work, though? (One for the temperature of the surface under the dough, one for internal dough temperature and one for ambient air temperature.)

BakerAunt
      Participant

Skeptic sent me the bread cloche, which arrived on Saturday. She did an excellent job of wrapping a fragile and odd shaped object. I am looking forward to baking experiments with it, but this week is already booked. Perhaps by the end of the month?

That would be a great experiment, Mike!

aaronatthedoublef
        Participant

Mike - how do you like the meater? Someone is offering deals (cannot remember if it is Moink or Porter Road) and I need a new leave in oven thermometer.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

The Meater Plus (one probe with a bluetooth repeater to give you more range, though the advertised 165 feet range seems to be several times larger than what I get) works fairly well, it gives you the ambient temperature plus the internal temperature and a time estimate of when it will be ready for the resting stage.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.