Black Bean Brownies?

Home Forums Baking — Desserts Black Bean Brownies?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I was watching an episode of Chopped last night and in one of the baskets they gave the competitors black bean brownies. That was a new one on me, but I see several recipes for them, like this one , I like to put black beans in meatloaf. And they might even qualify as a 'protein' on my wife's new food regime.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I have heard of black bean brownies on some TV show ages ago.

I have also heard of beet brownies.

Janiebakes
        Participant

I have a recipe for black bean brownies that uses cinnamon and other Mexican chocolate spices. Will post tomorrow.

Janiebakes
          Participant

Seems I did not remember my recipe correctly. It is for black bean brownies with esspresso powder. There are many recipes on the WEB forblack bean brownies using a Mexican chocolate spice mix. Cinnamon, allspice and some even with cayenne. Personally, not a fan of hot brownies. Here is mine with esspresso powder.

From Stealth Health by Evelyn Tribole

Dark Fudge Brownies

one 15 oz can of unseasoned black beans drained and rinsed
            four ozs unsweetened chocolate
            one TBL light butter
            six egg whites
            2 cups sugar
            three TBL AP flour
            two TBL instant espresso coffee powder
            1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350. Spray 9x13 pan with cooking spray. Melt chocolate and light butter together. Puree beans and two if the eggwhites until smooth. Combine bean puree, sugar, flour,espresso powder and remaining eggwhites. Beat with mixer until well combined. Stir in melted chocolate mixture. Scrape into prepared pan and top with walnuts. Bake for 30 35 minutes, until brownies are pulling away from the edge of the pan. Cool completely before cutting. I made them once, they were all eaten but we stuck with our favorite brownie recipe from Joy of Cooking.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I know many people like the combination of chocolate and coffee, but not being a coffee drinker it has never been that high on my list. I haven't had Mexican chocolate that I know of (though I have had Rick Bayless's mole sauce, so maybe I have), but I can see how cinnamon and even chili peppers would go well with it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.