Angel Biscuits

Home Forums Recipes Angel Biscuits

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Italiancook
    Participant

1 package active dry yeast (I use SAF red instant yeast)
      2 tablespoons lukewarm water (since I don't proof the yeast in water, I add this water with buttermilk)
      3 teaspoons baking powder
      5 cups flour
      1 teaspoon baking soda
      1-1/2 teaspoons salt
      1/4 cup sugar
      3/4 cup Crisco shortening (if I'm going to make these right away, I measure then refrigerate to make it cold)
      2 cups cold buttermilk

Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water and let stand 10 minutes. (If I'm using instant yeast, I add the water with the buttermilk.)

Sift dry ingredients together. (If using instant yeast, I add it with dry ingredients.) Cut in shortening. Add 1 cup buttermilk to flour mixture. Mix well.

Add yeast mixture, if using active dry yeast, OR add the water & & remaining 1 cup buttermilk. Mix thoroughly.

Knead on floured board until smooth and elastic.

If not making biscuits right then, store covered in refrigerator. Recipe says dough will keep for 1 week.

Before using, preheat oven to 425 degrees.

To form rolls, take out amount needed. Roll out on floured board -- I roll mine to 1/2" thickness. Cut desired size and shape (I have made heart-shaped biscuits for newlyweds.)

Place on ungreased or parchment-lined cookie sheet.

Bake for 11-15 minutes. Watch these the first time you make them. In the last century, my oven required 13-15 minutes. In my current oven, 11 minutes is tops, but I check at 10 minutes.

These rolls don't need to rise before baking.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.