What are You Baking the Week of June 17, 2018?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of June 17, 2018?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I'm not baking today, but for those of you who are, here is this week's thread.

Spread the word
      chocomouse
      Participant

We had a Father's Day/Daughter's Birthday/Grand-daughter's High School Graduation party yesterday! I made a Death by Chocolate trifle and a Pizza Loaf. That was a KAF blog recently and needs some more experimentation. It's made from the Butterflake Herb Loaf recipe, which is a really nice dough, savory or sweet, but it was too much bread and not enough "stuff." The teen-agers loved it.

BakerAunt
        Participant

On Tuesday morning, I baked bran muffins, using the recipe that I posted on this site. I used dried cranberries instead of raisins, which is a favorite variation of mine. I also cut the salt to 1/4 tsp., and I do not detect any difference.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Darn! My last post disappeared when the site had a glitch. This time, I re-wrote it in my Baking and Cooking Log and will cut and paste it in.

On Thursday, I was back in the kitchen baking. In the morning, I baked Knackebrod med Fron (imagine umlauts over the “a” and the “o” in the first word and over the “o” in the second word). Today is June 21, the longest day of the year, or Midsommar, a national holiday in Sweden. In tribute to the Swedish grandmother I never knew, I tried this recipe from Saveur (May 2014), which I found through a Google search on the internet.

https://www.saveur.com/article/recipes/knackebrod-med-fron-seeded-crispbread

I did make two changes. As humans cannot break down flax seeds to access their nutritional value, I replaced ¼ Cup of flax seed with 2 Tbs. of flax meal. I also reduced the Kosher salt in the cracker dough to 1 tsp. and sprinkled only about ½ tsp. on top. Instead of measuring the oil in a cup measure, I used 4 Tbs. I’m aware that there could be a rounding error difference, but the recipe turned out fine. I mixed in the oil with a pastry fork (any regular serving fork with four or so prongs would do), and I used it to mix in the boiling water as well.

I used a heavy 14x18-inch baking sheet covered and a piece of parchment that covered the whole sheet. I used a silicone spatula (no need to grease) to spread it over most of the pan, leaving just a bit of space on all four sides. I was careful to press it into a rectangular shape. Before sprinkling with the ½ tsp. kosher salt, I used a pizza cutter to cut it into rectangles 8x4 cm., which made 48 crackers. (I use metric because it is so much easier, when trying to cut even sections.)

Baking was 40 minutes at 350F, switching the pan around halfway through the time, but I did not think that they had crisped enough, so I baked an additional 10 minutes. [Note: I have a heavy metal baking sheet. It takes longer to bake most items, but it does so without overbrowning the bottoms of what I’m baking.]

My husband finds them rather plain, which is good, as that lowers the temptation to scarf them down mindlessly, an all too common problem with my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers. I like the taste of the roasted sesame seed. These would be great with thinly sliced cheese or with cream cheese. Although I did not search for a vegan or gluten-free cracker, these crackers fit both categories. These are faster and easier than the three rolled crackers that I make, so it is good to have an additional recipe that widens my repertoire.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt.
            BakerAunt
            Participant

On Thursday afternoon, as it continued to rain and I contemplated the lack of desserts in the house, I pulled out the KAF recipe for Crazy Blonde Brownies, which is on their site, reprinted from The Baker’s Catalogue (Spring through Summer 2001). I’ve previously baked this recipe, using the included lower sugar, and all white whole wheat variation. I was not completely satisfied, so I set out to re-work the recipe.

This time, I again used the lower amount of brown sugar. I used white whole wheat flour, but I substituted in ½ Cup quick oats for ½ cup of that flour. I reduced the vanilla from 2 tsp. to 1 ½ tsp. Instead of the optional butterscotch or vanilla-butternut flavor, I used the same amount of butter rum flavor (as I did last time I made the recipe). I also added 2 Tbs. flax meal. Instead of pecans, I used 1/3 cup pecan meal. I used 5.5 oz. each of butterscotch and semi-sweet chocolate chips. I baked in a 13x9-inch pan, lined with parchment for 28 minutes.

I'll add a note to this post, after we have them for dessert this evening, about taste and texture.
              Promised Note: Next time, I'll cut the butter rum flavoring to 1/4 or even 1/8 tsp. It's strong. I'm hoping it will "fade" a bit by tomorrow, as it overwhelms the other ingredients. Otherwise, these bars came out well.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.