Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers

Home Forums Recipes Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers

I adapted this recipe from one on the King Arthur website. My sourdough starter is not particularly thick, so instead of 1 cup of flour to 1 cup of starter, I use 1 1/4 cups of flour to 1 cup of starter. I've made some other changes as well. I usually make a double recipe because a single recipe is eaten too fast in our house.

1 1/4 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
      2 Tbs. flax meal
      1/4 cup cheese powder (King Arthur Vermont Cheese Powder)

1 cup unfed sourdough starter (what would be removed before feeding the starter)
      4 Tbs. unsalted butter, softened

Grapeseed oil and coarse salt

Mix together all ingredients until combined into a smooth dough. (I use the flat beater of my Cuisinart stand mixer and mix on speed 2.)

Divide dough in half, weighing to make equal amounts. Flatten into a small rectangle--about 5x4 inches--and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for a few days. The dough is easier to work with after that period, and the taste is even more excellent. I've refrigerated it for as long as a week but prefer 3-4 days.

Bring the dough to room temperature. I usually let one wrapped piece sit on the counter, then take out the next piece before I start working with the first one,

Preheat oven to 400F.

On a half-sheet sized piece of parchment paper, place the dough, cover with a large piece of plastic wrap, and roll out to a rectangle with dough 1/16th of an inch thick. I use "pie wands" that are 1/16th inch and a long cylindrical rolling pin to get the dough even. The rectangle should not be too long or too wide; that way the crackers will bake more evenly. Remove the plastic wrap.

[Note: Since posting this recipe, I've discovered that it is best to dock the dough all over with a fork--or if you have one a dough docker--before brushing with the oil.] Lightly brush the dough with grapeseed oil. (I've tried olive oil and canola oil, and I prefer the neutral taste of the grapeseed oil.) Using a pizza wheel cutter, cut the dough into 1 1/4 inch squares or 3 cm. squares. (Hint: measure in centimeters; it makes doing the division a breeze!) Sprinkle with coarse salt. Slide the parchment onto a large baking sheet.

Bake for about 18 minutes, turning the sheet around after 9 minutes. The time will depend on your oven and the thickness of your baking sheets, as well as how thin you were able to roll the dough. You might want to check at 18 minutes. When crackers are lightly browned, remove from oven. I usually break apart any that have not yet separated. I remove the parchment (and reuse it!), push around the crackers so they are spaced away from each other, and leave the crackers on the metal pan so that the heat can continue to crisp them on top of the stove. After 18 minutes, I then move them to a rack to finish cooling.

When completely cool, store in an air-tight container.

Variation: Omit the cheese powder and use 2 Tbs. {Penzey's Buttermilk Ranch Dressing Base.) Their Italian salad dressing blend would probably also work well.

Other Possible Variations: Use 2 Tbs. of the herbs of your choice and add 1/2 tsp. salt. (The salt is omitted in the other versions because cheese powder and spice mixes always include salt.)

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by BakerAunt.
      • This topic was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt.
      BakerAunt
      Participant

The recipe I submitted is for a single batch, but I always double it. Recently, I had to reduce saturated fat in my diet. I found that with a double recipe of these crackers, I can substitute 1/3 cup of canola oil for the butter. To improve taste, I also add 2 Tbs. special dried milk with the flours.

In addition to being lower in saturated fat, and tasting good, the oil version rolls out much more easily and more quickly than the butter version.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by BakerAunt.
        BakerAunt
        Participant

Additional Note: I like to hold the oil until the other ingredients are initially mixed, then I drizzle in the oil as the mixer runs.

I've also changed back to brushing the dough with oil before cutting it, and then I dock each cracker. I think it is actually faster that way.

For the double recipe made with oil, I use 1/3 cup flax meal, and I add 1/4 cup powdered milk, which I think improves the flavor.

Note added October 2, 2023: I now mix the oil with the sourdough starter, then mix in the dry ingredients. The dough comes together more easily that way.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

What's thr original recipc you started from?

BakerAunt
            Participant

The original recipe is at King Arthur: Sourdough Crackers:

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/sourdough-crackers-recipe

aaronatthedoublef
              Participant

I haven't used cheese powder yet and my wife asked me not to as she likes these with cheese.

BakerAunt
                Participant

In another slight tweak to how I bake these crackers, I've started baking them using the convection setting on my oven and baking for 12 minutes, turning half-way through. I bake them three racks up, which is above center. These changes seem to help the crackers bake more evenly.

After I remove the pan from the oven, I make sure all the crackers are separated from each other, then pull out the parchment and allow the crackers to rest on the hot baking sheet while I bake the next batch. The crackers should have space between them on the hot baking sheet, which will promote crunchiness. When the next batch is ready to exit the oven, I move the ones from the baking sheet to a rack to finish cooling.

aaronatthedoublef
                  Participant

Thanks BA. I did turn on the convection and I also pull them off the parchment and separated them on the pan. Definitely helped. I'll raise them higher next time to see.

The next problem is, I need to put them away before they are fully cooled otherwise they are all consumed. This may change a little now that the kids are at school for the morning.

aaronatthedoublef
                    Participant

I've made a couple of batches this week using your suggestions, BA. They've been very helpful.

I've noticed too, that I am not making my crackers thickness even. The middles are thicker than the edges but now even the middles are crisping up. The other thing I tried this morning is starting with a smaller amount of dough. I dropped down from 200 to 150 g. This allowed for a thinner sheet and a more even one.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

It's amazing to me how this recipe has evolved. How I bake it now--and some of the ingredients--is not the same as three years ago, is not how I baked it two years ago, and is not how I baked it one year ago. Some of that was forced on me when I had to cut most butter out. Some of it is due to my new oven with its convection mode. Some of it was trying to increase flavor and health value. Some of it was discovering new ways of proceeding.

The one problem that I haven't solved is the "rapid consumption of the product." πŸ™‚

skeptic7
                        Participant

Thanks for this recipe. If I could visit you, the crackers would disappear very fast indeed. They probably taste very good with apples, or pears, or chili. πŸ™‚

aaronatthedoublef
                          Participant

Don't take this the wrong way but, you don't really have a rapid consumption problem. My last batch lasted 48 hours because I baked them when the boys were at school and cooled them enough to put them away before they came home.

I just made some this morning and they will not last through Saturday. They were taking them off the pan as I was pulling the pan from the oven!

BA you are VERY popular in our house!

aaronatthedoublef
                            Participant

400 g of BA's crackers yesterday morning at 8:00 am.

As of 6:30 am today - two crackers...

Plus 600 g of the 800+ g loaf of challah I baked.

And they are both skinny! It's just not fair. πŸ™‚

BakerAunt
                              Participant

Hmm, Arron. I think that I should have named them "Disappearing Whole Wheat Sourdough Crackers." I'll probably make more dough this week, just to try to get ahead. I also think its time for some Rye -Barley Crispbread--a recipe that I've posted and highly recommend.

aaronatthedoublef
                                Participant

I have another batch cooling right now. I did ask for a 10 quart mixer for my birthday. But I do not think it's in the cards.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.