White Whole Wheat Apple Cider Baked Doughnuts

Home Forums Recipes White Whole Wheat Apple Cider Baked Doughnuts

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

White Whole Wheat Apple Cider Baked Doughnuts (makes 12)
      Marliss Desens adapted this recipe from a King Arthur Flour emailed recipe. It is still on their site, but no longer uses whole wheat flour. I first baked the recipe November 2013, then revised it on March 13, 2019. The third revision, on November 6, 2021, is the best.

2 cups white whole wheat flour
      2 Tbs. milk powder (optional)
      1 tsp. cinnamon
      ½ tsp. salt
      1 ½ tsp. baking powder

3/4 cup sugar
      1/3 cup canola oil
      3 large eggs (or 2 ½ eggs)
      1 cup unsweetened homemade applesauce
      1 tsp. boiled cider
      ½ tsp. vanilla

For coating: cinnamon sugar (I like the Penzey's blend which has vanilla in it)

Alternate Glaze: 1 ½ cup powdered sugar (sift after measuring)
      3 Tbs. maple syrup (Real Only!)
      ¼ tsp. real maple flavoring
      2-3 tsp. milk (or evaporated milk)

Directions:
      Use The Grease to coat the wells of two 6-well doughnut pans. Preheat oven to 350F.

In a small bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.

In a medium bowl, use a hand mixer to combine oil and sugar. Add eggs and mix to combine, then applesauce, boiled cider, and vanilla. You can whisk by hand, but the mixer does a better job of getting the oil and sugar combined. At this point, I put away the mixer, add the dry ingredients, and mix with a cake whisk (flat). If you use the mixer, use the lowest speed. Do not overmix or doughnuts will be tough.

Using a small "spoonula," drop batter into wells of the doughnut pans. I find that three "glops" of the thick batter works well. When all the batter is distributed, smooth out, as needed.

Bake for 17 minutes, or until tester comes out clean. Remove from oven. Let cool about a minute, then turn out onto a rack. If sprinkling with cinnamon sugar, put on a platter, and lightly sprinkle.

If glazing, first let cool completely. Mix glaze ingredients in wide, flat bowl. Dip each doughnut top into glaze, then set on platter to serve. (Note: glaze does not stand up to long storage.)

What I changed: I replaced regular whole wheat with white whole wheat flour to allow the other flavors to emerge. I reduced the sugar from 1 ¼ cups and the salt. I reduced the boiled cider from 4 Tbs. to 1 tsp., and the vanilla from 1 ½ to ½ tsp. I also changed the directions to sprinkle the cinnamon sugar on hot doughnuts. These are best with homemade applesauce, which is always thicker. Based on my experience with oil cakes, I also changed the mixing directions, so that the sugar is combined with the wet ingredients.

Spread the word
      kimbob
      Participant

The donut recipe looks delicious and I have all the ingredients on hand. I will try it soon. Thanks!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.