Wheat Germ Apple Bread by Beachdee

Home Forums Recipes Wheat Germ Apple Bread by Beachdee

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

BREAD, QUICK: Wheat Germ-Apple
      Submitted by beachdee on May 03, 2010 at 12:46 am

I created this recipe one evening when I decided I really didn't want wheat germ chocolate zucchini cake after all, but rather something less sweet. I had already measured out the wheat germ, and I had reduced some cider down and wanted something on which it might be used. Not an overly sweet bread, but a melding of subtle whole-grain flavors with the sweet-tart fruit. It can be made sweeter by the addition of the optional cider glaze, or, feel free to improvise (I did!).

1/3 cup SHERRY + 1 teaspoon RUM
      1/3 cup GOLDEN RAISINS
      2 cups WHOLE SPELT FLOUR
      1 cup WHEAT GERM
      2 tablespoons ground golden FLAXSEED
      1 tablespoon BAKING POWDER
      1/2 teaspoon SALT
      1/2 slightly heaping teaspoon CINNAMON
      1/4 teaspoon ground CLOVES
      3/4 cup SUGAR
      1/4 cup WALNUT OIL
      2 EGGS
      1/2 cup plain YOGURT
      1/4 cup unsweetened APPLESAUCE
      1 teaspoon VANILLA
      1/2 cup chopped WALNUTS
      1 medium GRANNY SMITH APPLE, medium-fine chopped

1) Put the raisins to soak in the liquor.

2) Grease and flour 3 mini-loaf pans (3x6-inch). Preheat oven to 350F.

3) Combine next 6 (flour thru cloves) ingredients in a bowl and set aside.

4) In a large bowl, place next 6 (sugar thru vanilla) ingredients and mix well.

5) Add the chopped apple to the dry ingredients and stir once or twice just to coat the apple.

6) Stir 2 tablespoons of the raisin-soaking liquor to the wet ingredients, then drain the rest off of the raisins. (your call on what to do with the unused liquor!)

7) Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and barely stir, just to start the moistening/mixing process.

8) Fold in the walnuts and raisins, and stir gently just to mix. Divide amongst the 3 pans.

9) Bake for 30-40 minutes (depends on your oven, check after 30 to 35 min.) until done. Cool in pans on rack for 5 minutes, then turn out on rack to finish cooling.

Optional glaze: Approximately half a cup of condensed cider with 1 tablespoon sherry added, gently warmed on low. Poke holes in the loaves just out of the oven and still in the pans, and drizzle the glaze over the tops. Have the glaze ready to put on right out of the oven, so the bread can soak it up while still in the pan, but without having to remain in the pans much longer than the recommended 5 minutes. Then turn out to racks to cool as usual.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.