What Did You Bake the Week of November 13, 2016?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What Did You Bake the Week of November 13, 2016?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

We had our family Thanksgiving dinner on Saturday, so Friday, I got busy. I baked Eggnog Cakes (recipe on this site), using my two Nordic Ware Autumn Harvest mini-loaf pans. (Each pan makes 6.) I also baked a pumpkin pie--my modification of my mom's recipe. I decided to use the buttermilk crust from the KAF 200th Anniversary cookbook that I posted about this summer. (I think I put the recipe on this site.) I make a deep dish pie in an Emile Henry ceramic pie plate, so I made the double crust recipe and used 3/4 for the crust, and then I rolled out the rest and used push leaf cookie cutters. I was able to put these around the crust circumference before I blind baked it, and it turned out rather nice, with the leaves holding their shape, although I did knock one or two off. Any dough that I did not use for the crust, I rolled out as little leaf cookies, sprinkled with cinnamon sugar, and baked separately. I was irritated with myself for forgetting to use a large coffee filter for blind baking the crust. I had the package out, but I grabbed the foil instead, probably because I got distracted looking for my can of dried beans that I've been using for blind baking crusts for about 25 years. I finally found them, but then I'd forgotten about the coffee filters. Sigh.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by BakerAunt.
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I made another Celebration Challah, it came out about as nice as the one I posted a photo of a few weeks ago. We took it to a dinner party and brought maybe half of it back home, so I'm looking forward to a little French Toast.

Italiancook
        Participant

I baked KAF Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies. The recipe calls for a glaze; I think it's necessary for added sweetness. Nevertheless, I did not glaze the cookies. The recipe made 6 dozen, and I was baking with only one oven as the other one needed to be recalibrated. By the time I baked off the cookies, I didn't want to bother with the glaze. My husband and the two people I gave the cookies to didn't miss the glaze and enjoyed the cookies plain.

Now, both ovens need to be recalibrated. Frustrating so close to holiday baking season. I've been reading the instruction booklet, so I'm going to try to recalibrate them myself instead of relying on a repairman. I just have to wait until I garner the courage to tackle a computerized (I guess) mechanism. So all I baked were the cookies.

aaronatthedoublef
          Participant

I made a bunch of pizzas this week. I gave a talk on pizza which turned into a hands-on class because only about 12 people showed up. The talk was at 9 and so I was at the temple at 7:15 getting the oven on and hot. It was a Vulcan convection oven and I forgot that the doors are not insulated and re-learned that lesson the hard way. I made six pizzas with my crust and one with Jim Leahy's no-knead from "My Bread". People were eating pizza at 8:30 in the morning so maybe if I open a place here I'll make pizza for breakfast - and not breakfast pizzas but regular pizzas.

Then my family wanted pizza for dinner since I had assembled everything and they had nothing for so I made another five pizzas for us. My 13 year old ate two-and-a-half... There was a little leftover so my daughter took it to school for lunch today.

My 13 year old had a soccer team party so I made my first batch of ginger-snaps of the season (they're really more molasses cookies). I brought two boxes and the hostess took one so the kids only had one box with a couple dozen cookies which they polished off.

Last week was crazy so I fell behind on my Thanksgiving prep doing this other baking. Now I need to catch up.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.