What Did You Bake the Week of July 24, 2016?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What Did You Bake the Week of July 24, 2016?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

We picked 21 pounds of blueberries on Tuesday morning, so a theme will run through my baking thread. On Tuesday, I baked the "French Fruit Cake" from the 200th Anniversary KAF Baking Book, which is actually a cookie crust tart filled with blueberries. The filling was runny, since these are juicy blueberries, so next time, I'll increase the cornstarch. I also baked a loaf of Grape Nuts Bread for weekly sandwiches. On Thursday, I tried a new recipe "Crumb Cake (Blueberry or Not)" from The Baking Sheet (Summer 1998), pp. 18-19. I did substitute in 1/3 whole wheat pastry flour for the cake, and I didn't use the optional sweet dough flavor, which I've never thought necessary to buy. For the topping, I used Gold Medal Flour rather than KAF with its higher protein content, and I did not use the 1/2 tsp vanilla powder or vanilla flavoring. It was good warm, but it is very good when cold the next day. On Friday, I tried a new recipe, "Scandinavian Crisp Bread" from the KAF 200th Anniversary Baking book (pp. 369-370), which I posted about in a separate thread. On Saturday morning, I baked Blueberry Streusel Bars, from The Baking Sheet 20.4 (Summer 2009), p. 7. My husband and I are going to a potluck for the local native plant society. As the recipe makes a 13x18 inch pan, I bake it only when there are plenty of people to help eat it. (Note: Only three of the twenty-four bars came home with us!)

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by BakerAunt.
      luvpyrpom
      Participant

Did more baking this week. On Sunday, made the Texas Sheet cake, used the 9x13 pan instead of the bigger sheet cake. I find I like the cake batter since it wasn't as sweet as the frosting. I think the next time I make it, I will try to cut back on the powdered sugar in the frosting. On Tuesday, I made a double batch of KAF Hawaiian Rolls for a dinner party later in the week. On Friday, I made 3 fresh fruit tarts - kind of like a pie but with a tart pan and it was the no-bake kind of pies. Made one strawberry, another blueberry, and the last one was a white peach with raspberries. Everyone loved it.

Italiancook
        Participant

I baked only a yellow cake.

cwcdesign
          Participant

I made my pizza. (See pizza thread)

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

OK, how do you do a 'no-bake' pie? Is it fried?

luvpyrpom
              Participant

Sorry, Mike, maybe it's called something else. The crust is prebaked and then fresh fruit is placed and a gelatin like glaze is poured over the fruit and then refrigerated til set. The blueberry glaze had sugar, water and cornstarch and it made a kind cloudy filling so next time I might try using the instant clear jel instead of the cornstarch. The peach and strawberry had the same ingredients with an additional ingredient of jello. I didn't put very much glaze in the tartshell so now I have extra in the frig.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.