What Did You Bake the Week of December 25, 2016?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What Did You Bake the Week of December 25, 2016?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

On Tuesday, I baked the Our Favorite Sticky Buns from the KAF site. I've discussed it in another thread. On Thursday, I baked Sandwich Rye Bread--a recipe that appeared a long time ago in the King Arthur catalogue. This time, I substituted First Clear Flour for the AP flour, and I used all medium rye flour (usually I mix medium and dark rye, but medium is all I have). I substituted in a cup of buttermilk for one cup of the water. The bread machine (stand mixer is back in Texas) did a fine job of kneading this 5-cups of flours bread. I usually bake it in a "hearth pan" that KAF used to sell, and was selling again, but that pan is back in Texas, so I used a 10x5 loaf pan. The bread came out very well and makes delicious turkey sandwiches.
      On Saturday, I made the Buttermilk Cracker Recipe from the King Arthur Flour 200th Anniversary cookbook that I tried this summer. This time, I experimented with 1/4 cup malted wheat flakes, 1/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats, and 1/4 cup barley flakes for the whole grains, and I added 2 Tbs. of flax meal. I needed an extra 2 Tbs. of buttermilk to get the dough to come together, and I probably should have used more. The dough were difficult to roll out; looking back, I should have added more buttermilk, as the air was dry inside. I also made a blueberry pie, and I had the same problem with the crust as I had with the crackers. The filling for the pie was from what I canned this summer. Some of you may recall. from what I posted then, that the Dutch Jel from an Amish store that I used, which was advertised as the same as ClearJel, was actually pectin, and it had made a soupy pie. I took Cass's advice from this summer, and I put a quart and a pint jar of filling in a pan, and I cooked and stirred--45 minutes!--until I had reduced the liquid. I then had to cool it, and I baked my pie. I'll report on how it turns out.

Pie Report: The pie baked up nicely. The filling is like jam, which is not surprising, since it was made with pectin.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by BakerAunt.
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by BakerAunt.
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

Not much baking here.Bananaa nut bread and Lemon Chess pie.

Italiancook
        Participant

I didn't bake. I used this week between Christmas and New Year's to rest and do end-of-the-year chores.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.