What are you Cooking the week of September 22, 2019?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the week of September 22, 2019?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I'm doing a pot roast tonight.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I'm making Salmon and Couscous with Penzey's Greek seasoning. We will have it with green beans from our now slowing garden. It has been warm here, and the plants continue to flower and produce beans.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by BakerAunt.
        Joan Simpson
        Participant

Tuna salad sandwich and pork-n-beans here tonight.

I had a great time at my sister's,enjoyed almost all of it.Played lots of cards,went shopping to thrift stores and no I didn't find anything.I caught a 24 hour virus the next to last day and was so sick,vomiting until I was dry heaving (I hate to vomit) but all's well and I'm back home.I've caught up on all the posts since I got back.

I took lots of fig jam and shared with my sister and nieces.The bread I had baked turned out rally well with a good texture and very moist.The banana bread was very moist and good too even if it was a little jagged.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Sorry to hear you weren't feeling well.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Welcome back, Joan. I'm glad you had a good visit--with the exception of that 24 hour bug--and that you are now recovered.

BakerAunt
              Participant

For lunch on Monday, I made a mostly vegetable frittata, based on reading about it in a Mark Bittman email. I sautéed some onion in olive oil, added ½ cup leftover shredded zucchini, then a sliced mushroom. We had about five snow peas from the garden, so I added those. I whisked an egg, added some Penzey’s Mural seasoning, then dumped the egg over the vegetables. (I used my smallest frying pan.) I tipped the pan to make sure the egg was evenly distributed. When it had set, I flipped it over for a bit, and sprinkled cheese on the top, which I pushed into the frittata. I ate it as the filling on a sandwich made with the bread that I baked last night. It was yummy.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Today I fried some flounder,made fresh coleslaw and cheese grits with hush puppies,oh so good.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Tonight was cubed steak,sour cream mashed potatoes and garden peas.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

We had salami and tomato sandwiches again tonight. I may have to make another batch of tomato sauce this week, there are lots of ripe tomatoes again, probably a good 30 pounds of them.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

For dinner on Tuesday, I roasted some cut-up chicken pieces we found on sale. As is now my custom, I roasted them on a rack in the roaster pan. I miss the ease of sheet-pan chicken meals, but the rack keeps the chicken our of fat drippings. I still line the roaster with parchment, however, so the rack is the messy part of the clean-up, even though I try to spray it with olive oil cooking spray before using.

On Wednesday, I made the Cooks’ Illustrated All-American Potato Salad that is our favorite. My husband cooked boneless pork chops, and we had microwaved peas.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

Tonight we had hamburger steaks sauteed with onions,thickened potatoes and creamed corn.

chocomouse
                          Participant

I am back in the kitchen! We cancelled our trip last week - my sister's husband had a medical emergency and spent some time n the hospital, and I had an allergic reaction to a post-op med for my cataract surgery. It's been a month that I have not been able to see much at all (I'm mostly blind in my other eye, due to a stroke) and I am so relieved to finally, yesterday, be seeing much better.

So, I got busy and made two 5-gallon pails of tomatoes into marinara and pizza sauce. I agree with Len - process the ripe tomatoes into sauce asap, but if you are too busy, just put them in zip-lock bags in the freezer until you have time or need more sauce. I've learned a new trick! I no longer dip in boiling water and peel -- just core, squeeze out a lot of the seeds and juice, cut into chunks, and whiz with a stick blender. The skins just disappear, but they add so much flavor and, I believe, nutrients. I prefer chunky sauce, so then I add onions, peppers, and celery (handy, since they are ripe at the same time in the garden), simmer a couple of hours, and package for the freezer.

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

Chocomouse glad to hear you're seeing better and back in the kitchen,sorry your trip was canceled.

Tonight we had spaghetti and meat sauce and garlic toast,always like this because I always have enough to stir together for a meal for next week,it always tastes better after it sits in the fridge and seems to meld together better flavor.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

I may try to do spaghetti and meatballs over the weekend, as it is expected to be cool on Saturday. I already got a container of vegetable beef soup out of the freezer. Tonight we settled for macaroni and cheese.

There may be a last gasp of the 80's on Sunday/Monday but the forecasted high for Wednesday is 59 with rain.

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

Tonight we had oyster stew very good but pricey at $22.88 for a pint.But they were small and very good just right for stew.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.