What are You Cooking the Week of October 1, 2017?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of October 1, 2017?

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Italiancook
    Participant

I am having fun planning my butternut squash cooking adventures. cwcdesign, I appreciate the slow cooker post. I'm having a friend over for lunch next week. I'm going to slow cook a butternut the day before she arrives. Then mash it with butter, refrig & microwave for a luncheon side dish. So that will be the first of these recipes that I'll try.

I rarely think of the supermarket chains for veggies. I buy them at a small market. My motto has always been that if they don't carry it, I can live without it. But now that this site has a recipe with fresh fennel & ginger, I'll call the supermarkets to see if they sell them -- when I'm ready to make the recipe.

I'm especially fond of butternut squash. That and acorn squash are the only two I like, although I haven't tried spaghetti squash yet. My second best Italian cookbook has a recipe for spaghetti squash, and now that we've talked so much about squash, I guess I'll buy one the next time I go to the market.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I've made spaghetti squash a few times, and my wife bought one at the farmer's market last weekend, so I guess we're having that some day soon. Otherwise, aside from zucchini and summer squash in a dish like ratatouille, I don't eat much squash. My wife like butternut squash, I don't.

BakerAunt
        Participant

My husband, although a pumpkin pie lover, is not fond of various squashes. However, he will eat them in soups, and I remind him that they help fill you up with fewer calories. I have become very fond of butternut squash, and am working out a curried butternut squash soup for myself.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Wednesday dinner is whole chicken legs roasted on a parchment lined sheet pan with cut-up small red potatoes, coated in grapeseed oil, with all sprinkled with poultry seasoning. We had steamed broccoli on the side.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by BakerAunt.
            Joan Simpson
            Participant

Tonight I made Cabbage Beef Soup was very good and filling.

Italiancook
              Participant

I made my dad's version of Chop Suey today. Served it with chow mien noodles. I'll make rice for serving leftovers tomorrow.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Baked Pork tenderloin,sour cream mashed potatoes and green butter beans.

navlys
                  Participant

Thursday I made baked scallops. I bought frozen sea scallops. I bought frozen bay scallops in the past and they were bitter. Anyway I baked these using a recipe I found on Pinterest and they were dee...licious.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

It isn't the freezing that causes scallops to be bitter, it's overcooking them. When my son was here with his sous vide cooker, he made scallops and they were excellent. (He had to make something else for my wife, though, she doesn't care for scallops.)

cwcdesign
                      Participant

So far this week, I've made chicken salad with a rotisserie chicken breast and half whole milk Greek yogurt/half Mayo, stirred fried veggies and then the next night I added in a pound of Cooke chicken sausage. Last night I tried a recipe for a Chinese potsticker soup from foodnetwork that is definitely a keeper. I've been thinking about sea scallops since they're on sale, but maybe not tonight.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.