What are you Cooking the week of May 26, 2019?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the week of May 26, 2019?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I have no idea what I'm doing for supper tonight, maybe something with some chicken breasts.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

Fortunately, we still have leftover chicken and rice.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

Spaghetti and meat sauce with garlic toast.

chocomouse
          Participant

Grilled salmon, asparagus, leftover potato salad, and green salad with lettuce from the planter on the deck.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Macaroni and cheese here

Joan Simpson
              Participant

I pulled some frozen BBQ pork from freezer,made baked beans,potato salad and corn.

BakerAunt
                Participant

For our Memorial Day dinner, my husband cooked thick boneless porkchops on the stove top. We split one lengthwise and made sandwiches, using the buns I baked today. We usually have the PBS News Hour on during dinner, but when the audio switched to repeated tornado warnings in the South Bend area, we turned to weather coverage and my husband ran to the house to check the radar. It rained heavily with some wind and thunderstorms, but the severe weather did not hit our area. I know that areas southwest of us did have tornados, and this is the system that went into Ohio.

navlys
                  Participant

I cut some chicken breasts into cubes, covered them with oil and a rub of several Penzeys spices and grilled them on skewers. It didn't take long for them to cook. I served them with potato salad that I made with bacon in it and I boiled some corn on the cob. Oh and I made a mango salsa to go with chicken. I should have watched the salt in the potato salad because the bacon is salty. I picked the corn with the smallest kernels. Big mistake. The kernels had no depth to them. All in all not too bad a dinner,

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Tuesday's dinner was a salad using mixed greens and radishes from the farmers' market--along with celery, carrots, cherry tomatoes, and green onions from the store. We had it with rotisserie chicken.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

To go with leftover rotisserie chicken, I made a noodles and broccoli dish. I used the rest of a package of spinach noodles. After the water boiled and I added them, I waited for the water to boil again, then dumped in a package of frozen broccoli. Meanwhile, I sautéed some onion and mushrooms in a bit of olive oil, then added the drippings from the chicken (almost no fat) and 3 “Mini-Moos” I had left over from a trip and need to use up. They are nice when there is no half and half around, and these days there rarely is in our refrigerator. I added freshly ground pepper, then mixed with the drained noodles and broccoli, with a bit of the pasta water. After tossing with grated Parmesan cheese, we had a nice accompaniment to the chicken.

skeptic7
                        Participant

I did Vietnamese Beef stew in the slow cooker on Wednesday. I got up early in the morning when it was still cool to get this prepared and in the slow cooker. I had wanted to cook it over the weekend but it was far too hot. I had to do quite a bit of substitution -- I had no fresh orange peel so I used candied orange peel and left out the sugar. I put in three small carrots and a turnip instead of two large carrots. One can of diced tomatoes instead of a fresh tomato. One small onion and some garlic instead of half a large onion. Then I cooked it on low for about 12 hours. came out very tasty. I could have put in another turnips. Stews are so wonderfully forgiving about substitutions and adding more ingredients.
                          I ate this with stir fried Chinese Cabbage and Rice. Its a very spicy dish but its suppose to be eaten with bland noodles and greens.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

I'm back,had a great time with my sister,played cards till 1:30-2:00 am everyday & night and just talked and relived lots of long ago,good times!

Tonight we had fresh white acre peas and after they were about done I added in whole okra boiled till tender,fried green tomatoes,fried chicken and biscuit hoe cake bread,dessert was cane syrup to sop that bread with,dang it was good.I got several fresh vegetables from a produce stand in Monticello,Fla while visiting my sister,Hope all's been well here.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Joan Simpson.
                            BakerAunt
                            Participant

Welcome back, Joan!

Saturday night’s dinner was a stir-fry featuring the last two boneless pork chops, now cut up, and onion, celery, carrots, red bell pepper, broccoli, and soba noodles, along with the drippings from when the pork chops were cooked. I am out of white wine, so I used a bit of apple cider vinegar to deglaze the pan, and it gave a nice taste to the stir-fry and complemented the pork. I don’t think that I’d use it with chicken.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.