What are you Cooking the Week of March 6, 2022?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of March 6, 2022?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I'm making potato-leek soup tonight, so I took about 2/3 of a loaf of semolina bread and cut it up for croutons and they're in the oven.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

Mike I love croutons, we use to make them when I worked at the school cafeteria many years ago with leftover rolls.

Tonight we had lima bean soup from leftover dry lima beans I cooked last week and used the baked chicken drippings,added a half can of diced tomatoes,a rib of celery ,small onion,carrot, when that was all cooked soft I added in the leftover cup of rice and it was all ate for supper.Just the way I like it.

chocomouse
        Participant

Today I tried a new casserole recipe "Chicken and Rice Casserole" by The Cozy Cook. It has an interesting flavor, and is delicious. The rice was overcooked and a little gummy, so next time I will try the rice I use for risotto. There is plenty leftover for the rest of the week!

BakerAunt
          Participant

I roasted eight chicken thighs on Sunday—enough for tonight and for three additional meals this week. I cooked petite red potatoes on the stove top in some water, then tossed them with olive oil and salt. We had leftover coleslaw. Dessert was the last loaf of zucchini bread from the freezer.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Restaurant croutons almost always have garlic on them, I don't put anything, not even butter on my home-made croutons. (Sometimes I'll take a small cup of them and add some butter, but they don't really need it.)

They're great in soups and on salads. I've used a variety of different breads for croutons over time, recently I've been using semolina bread.

They keep well once dried, but I usually have a bag of them in the freezer, too, and if I need bread crumbs I can make some quickly from croutons.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

I found a recipe for crock pot Kielbasa butI don't have a crock pot anymore so I adapted it for stove top and oven.I used one half of a kielbasa sliced into rounds,half of 28 0z. can of crushed tomatoes,half onion and bell pepper both diced,seasoning of garlic minced, worcestershire sauce,louisana hot sauce,salt,pepper,cumin,and and some of the dried peppers like for pizza.Heated this up on top of stove till hot through then put in oven for a couple hours at 350 *. We had this over rice with green beans.It was very good and said you could eat this on a bun.I had a little left so I put the rice in with it to reheat later.Nice to have something new and I needed to use up the crushed tomatoes.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

I made fresh coleslaw, baked beans and pulled pork for BBQ that was in the freezer and I have a small peach cobbler in the oven.

chocomouse
                  Participant

We had leftover chicken and rice casserole, and buttercup squash.

Yesterday I made egg muffins for breakfasts, with bacon, onion, red pepper, and spinach, plus Penzey's Foxpoint seasoning.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

We had Salmon and Couscous with Penzey's Greek Seasoning on Tuesday as a break from the leftover chicken. We also had microwaved fresh broccoli. A small loaf of pumpkin bread from the freezer was dessert.

I also made yogurt today.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

We had artichokes with some cheese sauce and a bowl of the potato-leek soup I made the other day.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

Tonight we had cube steak,peas with snaps and potato salad.

RiversideLen
                          Participant

Yesterday for dinner I made chicken veggie soup and a hamburger.

Also, I made chicken stock from the remains of two roasted chickens that I had in the freezer. It yielded a little less than 2 quarts. I have it portioned and in the freezer now.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

It's always great to have chicken stock on hand, Len!

To go with leftover roasted chicken thighs on Wednesday, I cooked farro in chicken broth from the freezer, then combined it with chopped carrots, celery, orange bell pepper, green onion, and mushrooms that I sauteed in olive oil. I lightly seasoned with a bit of Penzey's sweet curry, sage, thyme, and freshly grated black pepper.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

We're having chili and cinnamon rolls, both from the freezer.

Time to make more chili, this is a small container and it was the only one I found in the freezer. There are only two cinnamon rolls left in the freezer, so I'll probably make another batch of the tangzhong cinnamon rolls, too.

chocomouse
                                Participant

I scrambled two eggs with onions, peppers, and cabbage leftover from the tacos we had the other night, and add some diced cheddar. My husband is up at our sugar house, hopefully boiling sap into maple syrup. He'll have to fend for himself when he gets home.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.