What are you Cooking the Week of June 23, 2024?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of June 23, 2024?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Still thinking about dinner plans for tonight.

Spread the word
      cwcdesign
      Participant

I can't decide if this belongs in cooking or baking😄

My neighbor brought me some fresh tomatoes on Friday evening, I made a tomato galette from Southern living with a couple of changes. The recipe called for heirloom tomatoes, but my neighbor grows determinate ones (not sure what the name is). Instead of Boursin and cheddar, I used some Brie I had from another recipe and Jarlsberg. Only problem I had was I misread that the pie crust was supposed to be refrigerated, not frozen - no wonder it didn't roll out very well. I was not going to make pie crust in this heat. It looks and smells great, even if the crust is a little crumbly. I will make it again as it is an easy recipe and I still have 3 tomatoes left.

BakerAunt
        Participant

On Sunday, I made yogurt. I also made another batch of Black Raspberry Jam. Dinner was an easy re-run of last night's Turkey and Sweet Potato Meat Loaf and the rest of the broccoli.

That's the way to cook/bake, CWCdesign! I'm a big proponent of using what I have on hand in recipes. One thing that I like about the Washington Post Eat Voraciously column is that the author will often give possible substitutions for what might be in the pantry or for special diets.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

We had tacos/taco salad for supper tonight.

RiversideLen
            Participant

I made hot dogs and burgers on the grill yesterday. Dinner was a dog and burger, Brussels sprouts and baked beans.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

Cwcdesign that galette sounds mighty fine.My cousin makes a tomato pie similar to that I've never tried it or a galette, another thing on my list to try.

I had rotisserie chicken tonight with some of the blueberry yum yum for dessert.I made the blueberry dessert to take to my friends Saturday we had a fish fry and it was all so good.

The weather here is so hot and feels like a oven.Thunderstorms are coming this afternoon and we need the rain.Peoples gardens and field crops are drying up.

chocomouse
                Participant

I made lasagna for dinner, and there is plenty leftover for the freezer. I pulled the last three garlic knots from the freezer also. I planned a salad, but it has rained every 10 minutes here for the last 3 days! We've received over 3 inches this past week. But we did not get any of the tornados that were warned. Joan, we had upper 90s for three days last week, and now we've had the rain. The next 3 days are predicted to be nice - sunny and cooler.

cwcdesign
                  Participant

BA the filling was great, but the crust was awful - I think there was sugar in it and it was too thin. I think I would use puff pastry or a stronger pie crust the next time. And, you really need fresh tomatoes from a garden, not the ones from the supermarket

Tonight I baked some chicken tenders in my new toaster oven to go with some of the tomato galette. I bought a nice smaller Cuisinart oven that does not have an air fryer or convection as my stove has both of those. Because I signed up for the nights & weekends program with GA power to save money, I can't run my heavy appliances between 2 and 7 M-F. We've been doing this for several years and it does make a difference. But, with the heat we're having now, who knows.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

We had salami and tomato sandwiches on the keto white bread, that bread will make tomato season a lot more enjoyable.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

CWCdesign--an oil crust is faster than a butter crust. It does need an hour in the refrigerator in the pie dish, then par-baking. I started making them when I had to give up high amounts of butter in my baking and was amazed at how fast they come together, and with a few changes, taste great. I am able to roll the dough out, but it can just be patted into the pan.

Of course, puff pastry would be even faster.

RiversideLen
                        Participant

I had a hot dog and hamburger and green beans.
                          This pic is from Sunday.

Burgers

Attachments:
                          You must be logged in to view attached files.
                          Joan Simpson
                          Participant

Len I love anything grilled, those look great. I made chicken and rice with bones from 2 rotisserie chickens it's really tasty.

IMG_0916

Attachments:
                            You must be logged in to view attached files.
                            BakerAunt
                            Participant

For dinner on Tuesday, my husband pan cooked some pork. I roasted sweet potato chunks tossed in olive oil. We also had microwaved frozen peas.

Len's grilling looks great, as does Joan's chicken and rice.

chocomouse
                              Participant

Dinner tonight was ribs and potatoes, cooked on the grill, and asparagus and green salad. Included in the salad were the first of the snow peas that I'm growing in a hanging basket on the deck.

cwcdesign
                                Participant

Len, those hamburgers look delicious!

BA, tonight the galette turned into tomato pudding🤣🤣🤣 because of the texture of the crust -it still tasted good though. It made me think of my best friend's mom when we were growing up. She called the meals "dinner," "leftovers," "icebox review(revue?)" and then "train wreck." Tonight was train wreck

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.