What are You Cooking the Week of June 17, 2018?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of June 17, 2018?

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Because the weather was cooler today (something we could not be sure of until this morning), my husband, dog, and I went hiking in the Indiana Dunes State Park today--a three hour hike, after a picnic lunch, that included sand trails. Hiking in sand is twice the work. (It is called the Dunes.) When we returned to the car, I suggested that we needed to pick up something for dinner because neither of us was going to feel like cooking after an hour-plus drive home. As we would be going by Michigan City, we stopped and picked up a rotisserie chicken and container of potato salad. (We had our trusty picnic cooler with us.) I steamed green beans from yesterday's farmers' market in the microwave. Dessert was ice cream and more wonderful strawberries from the same farmers' market. (I shall never be satisfied again with supermarket strawberries.)

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt.
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

It's super hot and humid here so I made cold plates,macaroni salad,tuna salad,pear salad,beets and deviled eggs, and crackers.Plenty of leftovers for later on.

chocomouse
        Participant

Joan, those sound perfect! I love making cold salads for summer meals and eating the leftovers for days.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Thanks Chocomouse,today my husband ate a plate of macaroni salad for lunch-it's always better the next day really cold!
            Today for supper we had cubed pork,lima beans,rice and tomatoes and cornbread muffins.

BakerAunt
            Participant

While the rest of you are eating cold salads in sweltering weather, it is our second day of rainy, cool weather in northern Indiana. I made soup for lunch, using some of my frozen turkey/chicken stock. I started by sautéing the onions and a bit of garlic in olive oil. I added the broth and a cup of Bob’s Red Mill Hull-less barley and let it cook for 40 minutes. Then I added a small can of no-salt added, chopped tomatoes with its liquid, 1 ½ cups brown lentils, sliced carrots and ½ tsp. thyme. After letting it cook 30 minutes longer, I added two small chopped zucchinis from the farmers market last Saturday and cooked for about 10 minutes longer before adding a splash of red wine vinegar and some freshly ground black pepper. We had the soup with the seed crackers I baked yesterday, along with some thinly sliced gouda cheese.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Friday dinner was a stir fry using yellow bell pepper, small florets of broccoli and snow peas (both from the farmers’ market), the leftover rotisserie chicken, some frozen drippings (leftover from a time when I made the Maple Glazed Chicken and Sweet Potatoes recipe), sliced green onion (also from the farmers market), and soba noodles. I found these soba noodles, made in Japan, at Kroger in the larger town where we do our major shopping runs, and I like them better than the made-in-China ones the Walmart carries.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Your soup sounds good BakerAunt.
                  Today I made Spanish rice with lettuce & tomato salad stirred up with mayonnaise and bread & butter.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

Thanks, Joan. I rarely follow a recipe anymore for soup. It comes down to the question: What do I have in the house? I did, however, buy the zucchini with soup in mind.

On Saturday, I made chicken stock using the bones from the rotisserie chicken we had this week, and the bones from another that were in the freezer.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.