What are you Cooking the Week of June 16, 2024?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of June 16, 2024?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    RiversideLen
    Participant

I made Cornish game hens, had a half of one with green beans and carrot and macaroni.

Joan Simpson
      Participant

I had hotdogs with slaw.

BakerAunt
        Participant

We spent a little less than two and a half hours at the woodlands early on Wednesday morning, where I picked over 2 quarts of black raspberries, which then came to 3 quarts with my husband helping out at the end after he finished his other tasks. We were fortunate that the clouds kept the heat down a bit. However, the clouds dissipated as we returned home, so it is in the low 90s.

I decided to make an easy dinner that would not require the oven, so I made quinoa salad (Penzey's recipe) with lima beans, corn, lime juice from our limes that I froze last year, and faux feta, so called because it clearly uses cow's milk not goat's milk. However, it is what the store had available. I picked up a rotisserie chicken to go with the salad. The rotisserie chickens now sell at the local store for $8.99; when we moved here seven years ago, they were $5.99, and occasionally there would be leftover ones marked down the next day. That no longer occurs.

cwcdesign
          Participant

I made a tuna and white bean salad that I had with an English muffin and fresh strawberries.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

It is cool here today, so I tried making a keto-friendly biscuit (see baking thread) and some creamed tuna to go on top.

Both were fairly good. I'm still working out the carb count, but it won't be very high.

Update: 1 biscuit with 1 serving of creamed tuna was under 4 carbs.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

Today is one year that my passed so my friends came and we went out and had Subway and it was really good but the friends better. I am so blessed with friends and family I don't know what I'd do without them. Good to know on the Keto biscuit Mike.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Hugs, Joan.

We re-ran the rotisserie chicken and quinoa salad. We will do the same tomorrow. It's not clear when the heat will break.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

We had steaks on the grill again, with sauteed fresh mushrooms. Thought about having a salad, but I'm full.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

I got up early on Friday morning and made another batch of black raspberry jam. Once again, the yield was four 8 oz. and one 4 oz. jars. The lid of one of the 8 oz. jars from the previous batch did not seal, so I put it in the refrigerator for us to enjoy now. When I made that first batch, I forgot to wipe the rim of the first jar before putting the lid in place, so that is probably the jar that did not seal. We are in for another hot day today and tomorrow. We were fortunate to have a slight front come in last night to cool us down a bit. I still have plenty of black raspberries, but I need to buy another package of canning jars.

I also made chicken broth using the bones from the rotisserie chicken and bones in the freezer from when I roasted bone-in chicken breasts.

RiversideLen
                      Participant

I bought a rotisserie chicken from Whole Foods and made chicken tacos, rice and green beans.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

We had tuna salad on lettuce tonight. Jack the cat appreciated the tuna water. 🙂

chocomouse
                          Participant

Dinner last night was a stir fry, with some leftover bbq chicken, celery, carrots, sweet peppers, onions and a sort of Korean bulgogi sauce, on rice and with a green salad from the deck.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

The plan tonight is burgers on the grill using the L'Oven Fresh keto buns, weather permitting. (Chances of rain in the afternoon/evening.)

BakerAunt
                              Participant

Saturday night's dinner was determined by 1) what I have in the house and 2) what can I make without turning on my big oven. I realized that I could try a new recipe, "Turkey and Sweet Potato Meatloaf," by Julia Turshen, who is covering for the writer of the Washington Post "Eat Voraciously" recipe newsletter while she is on maternity leave. I altered the recipe in that I used the regular 19.2 oz. of 93% fat-free ground turkey rather than the preferred pound of dark. The smallest sweet potato that I had was around 15. 7 oz. I used about 11.2 oz., leaving it unpeeled as specified. (I boiled up peeled chunks of the rest for the dog to have as her "topping," when we eat.) Due to my husband's issues with onion, I replaced the small onion with 2 tsp. dehydrated onion, which I rehydrated and the two cloves of garlic with ¼ tsp. garlic powder. Doing so also saved me the step of sautéing them in olive oil first. Instead of the six large leaves of fresh sage minced, I used a generous ½ tsp. of dried sage. I replaced 1/3 cup of finely chopped fresh parsley with 1 tsp. dried. I replaced 1/3 cup of plain breadcrumbs with ½ cup of quick oats. I added 2 Tbs. flax meal, and then, because the mixture seemed slightly dry, ¼ cup of milk. I baked it in a 7 x 8-inch Emile Henry flat casserole rather than a loaf pan. I learned that trick from my mother who favored flat loaves that filled the dish. I left the temperature at 375 F, even though I used the small convection oven, but I checked it at 50 minutes, and it was done.

My husband and I both like this turkey loaf, so I will put it alongside my other two turkey loaf recipes. We had it with microwaved fresh broccoli as the side.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

We did have burgers on the grill, using the L'Oven Fresh keto buns (21 carbs but 1 net carb), and the buns were quite good, if I hadn't known they were keto-friendly, I doubt I'd have noticed from the taste or texture. These buns will make summer meal planning easier.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.