What are you Cooking the Week of July 3, 2022?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of July 3, 2022?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

No dinner plans yet for tonight, but the fireworks are likely to be in full swing in our neighborhood by then, so I probably won't want to cook outdoors as the air will smell like black powder. Same problem tomorrow.

Spread the word
      cwcdesign
      Participant

Gifting this article from The Washington Post - you won't need an account to read it
        https://wapo.st/3OESSGA

I am amused by this article with such a fancy name. We used to call it "leftovers," "Icebox Revue," and "Train Wreck" when it happened several days later and you just had to use up the bits and bobs. This is what I did for the last two nights!

Tonight, I'm going to make a vegetarian version of Will's Arroz con Pollo using Portobello mushrooms in place of the chicken. I'll through it on a half sheet pan with peppers and onion and some taco seasoning. Going to make the queso sauce to go with it. We found a great recipe that uses evaporated milk which keeps it from separating.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Back when my wife was doing most of the cooking, she called it 'concoctions'.

After my youngest brother started school, my mother got a job working as a budget analyst at the nearby military storage depot. She'd get home at about 5:05 every day, and have dinner on the table by 5:30!

I' m not sure how much she planned it all in advance but she made a lot of 'throw whatever you have in the fridge' into a pan meals, variations on hash, many of them. She and my father (they had split up several years earlier) ran a restaurant for a few years, so she was an accomplished hash slinger and knew her spices and other seasonings. I spent plenty of time ahead of supper turning a food grinder to grind up potatoes and an onion.

I think it's one of the reasons I love watching "Chopped". It's making a chef do what many home cooks do every day, figure out what they can make with whatever's available, in 30 minutes.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

I made homemade pizza for me with pepperoni,onion,banana peppers,black olives and cheese.My husband had leftover hamburger patty and eggs.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Well, the annual neighborhood dramatization of World War III hadn't started yet, so I was able to do burgers on the grill, plus potato salad.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Our World War II dramatization began Saturday night, accompanied by a very loud party that was not even close to us, but the bass reverberated anyway. We had to turn on all the fans full blast to try to soothe the dog.

RiversideLen
                Participant

I sauteed some onion, carrot, red bell pepper and mushrooms then added a diced tomato and leftover chicken breast cut into strips. Had it with spaghetti and a salad.

chocomouse
                  Participant

Sunday I made a broccoli salad with the first of the season broccoli from our garden.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

We had tuna salad on the tomatoes from the farmer's market. Not the best tomatoes I've had, a bit too firm on the inside, I wonder if they were gas-ripened after picking? I may have to try the veg stand near us to see what their tomatoes are like, because its likely to be mid-August before we see many tomatoes from our garden. They generally get them from a grower in Kansas early in the season. We also had some sweet corn and will have some cherry pie a little later.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

We had chargrilled chicken,macaroni and cheese and leftover pink eye peas.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

I made sloppy Joe's out of venison from the freezer,mashed potatoes and creamed corn.My husband had his over mashed potatoes and I had mine over one of the rolls I cooked a few days ago.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

We returned Tuesday afternoon from a two-day trip to Spring Mill State Park, undertaken so that we could be in a fireworks-free zone for July 3 and 4. The town fireworks were July 3. Our neighbors to the south do theirs on July 4. My stepson stayed here, and he said they were still setting off extremely loud ones at midnight. He was trying to sleep and not amused.

I picked up a rotisserie chicken and potato salad at the store, which we had with microwaved frozen vegetables for dinner tonight. It is very hot and humid outside, and after the long drive home, I was in no mood to cook.

When we go to Spring Mill, I usually pick up a couple of 2 lbs. packages of their stoneground cornmeal. We were disappointed to learn that the mill has been out of commission for the past year, and they have only just found someone who can make the parts they need to fix it. 1817 flour mills require special expertise. I'm glad that I still have a bag of the cornmeal in the freezer.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

I bought some tomatoes from the veg stand near us, much better than the ones I got at the Farmer's Market on Sunday, so we had BLT's, plus a salad, some sweet corn and a slice of still-runny cherry pie.

I also bought a slab of ribs today, I'm not sure what I'm going to use for a dry rub, probably something simple. That's supper, possibly on Thursday, it depends on the weather, we may be seeing some rain in the afternoon/evening over the next few days. (There was a small storm heading this way an hour ago but it melted at the county line.)

RiversideLen
                              Participant

I made stuffed pepper halves with bulk Italian sausage. Pretty easy since sausage is already seasoned, I just had to weigh it out and stuff the peppers and roast them. I roasted them in the oven that was preheating for my sandwich buns, so two birds from one stone as they say. Had one pepper with some pasta, mushroom pasta sauce from a jar, broccoli and carrot.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

The remains of last night's rotisserie chicken went into a stir-fry for Wednesday's dinner, along with red bell pepper, celery, carrots, green onion, mushrooms, and the first snow peas from our garden. I used soba noodles and some Penzey's chicken base, since I did not have any drippings to use. As I was making a larger amount, I pulled out a large, flatter Calphalon Dutch oven that I rarely use these days. It was easier to crisp-cook the vegetables, and much easier to incorporate the soba noodles. I got the idea from an episode of "The Splendid Table" that featured the author of some Chinese cookbooks. She said that flat-bottomed woks work better on American stoves.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.