What are You Cooking the Week of July 21, 2024?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of July 21, 2024?

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Probably a sandwich for me tonight, Diane is having a burrito, but she only eats a small portion of the tortilla. She tried the Mission low-carb tortillas, wasn't impressed with them, they're not very flavorful and the texture is off a bit, too.

BakerAunt
      Participant

I de-seeded five quarts of blackberries today. I froze two containers for future use in Bittersweet Blackberry Brownies. I have set aside 2 cups to try a Blackberry Chia Seed Jam that I can use in Rye Bars. I used 4 cups to make three 8 oz. jars of blackberry jam. I have another 4 cups in the refrigerator to use for jam tomorrow.

I checked lids before I canned this batch of jam, as Mike suggested, and I noted that one was indented on the rim, so I threw it away.

For dinner, we had leftover stir-fry. Today was our big shopping trip to the larger town, so between that and doing the berries, I was glad to have a ready-made dinner.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

I had another salad for supper.

BakerAunt
          Participant

I made and canned three 8 oz. and one 4 oz. jars of jam on Friday afternoon, using some of what I de-seeded yesterday. As I picked another 4 quarts this morning, and my husband picked a quart as well in between his other work, there will be more blackberry processing, but not until they rest in the refrigerator for a couple of days, as that makes them easier to de-see

For dinner, I wanted to make my usual turkey zucchini loaf, but it calls for a peach-Dijon mustard glaze, and I am out of peach jam and unlikely to get my hands on peaches to make more. I wondered if I could replace the peach jam with blackberry jam in the glaze. I googled and found various recipes that use that combination, so I replaced the peach with blackberry in my recipe. It is very good, so I will be using it when I make the turkey zucchini loaf.

To go with the meatloaf, I thinly sliced new potatoes from the farmers market and sauteed them in olive oil, stirring frequently for about 20 minutes, then lightly salted them at the end. I would have liked to use Sunny Paris, but I left them plain in deference to my husband and our dog. We also microwaved fresh green beans from our garden.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

We had cantaloupe with salami tonight, and I had a salad with the first pickings from the Aerogarden I planted recent.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

I had salad with rotisserie chicken.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I'm making more custards and a batch of barbecue sauce that should be pretty keto-friendly, made with Heinz no-sugar-added Ketchup and allulose. I think it'll be under 1 carb per tablespoon depending on how much I reduce it.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

We're having more of the cantaloupe and salami, Diane bought a HUGE cantaloupe at a fruit stand, probably at least 3 meals worth.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

I used a slightly generous 2 cups of seeded blackberry puree to make a refrigerator chia seed jam, using the same recipe I used for those marginal blueberries the week of July 7, then used the jam for Rye Bars. This time, I added 6 Tbs. of sugar, as blackberries can be more tart but used the same amount of chia seed. I will give it two days to set in the refrigerator then check to see if the consistency will work for another batch of the Rye bars.

To go with leftover turkey-zucchini loaf for dinner on Saturday, I made a farro stir-fry with green onion, celery, mushrooms, yellow squash, and kale. The farro was cooked in turkey/chicken broth from the freezer.

RiversideLen
                      Participant

I made enchiladas, brussle sprouts, and an ear of corn. I shucked the corn, removed the silk, rewrapped it in the husk and microwaved it for 4 minutes, seasoned it with soy sauce and sesame oil, it was good. I know you can microwave the corn in the husk prior to shucking it and it's supposed to remove all the silk, but my experience is that it removes most of the silk, but not all of it. The enchiladas were a little dry, I should have used more sauce. I made them in an eight sheet pan, those are handy little things.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.