What are You Cooking the Week of February 26, 2017?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of February 26, 2017?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

My husband is in charge of dinner tonight--roast chicken, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and salad. However, for those of you in charge of dinner tonight, I'm starting the weekly thread. I will be contributing more later in the week.

Spread the word
      Italiancook
      Participant

I had a near-disaster this afternoon while making Coq au Vin from "Cook-Ahead Cookery." I was dividing the recipe in half. But I measured out the full amount of flour, salt & liquid. I didn't notice I had too much flour when I dumped it into the skillet with the green onion and garlic. As I stirred it, I realized I had goofed. By that time, I had the full amount of wine mixed together with the full amount of broth.

I had to throw away the flour-green onion-garlic mixture. I pulled out a clean skillet. Thankfully, I had another green onion. I quickly sliced it and minced the garlic while the skillet was heating. I threw away the broth/wine mixture and remeasured using the half proportions.

All's well that ends well, and this ended well even though I'm more tired that need be. Since this is a cook-ahead meal, it's in the fridge waiting to be cooked tomorrow. Smells delicious, though.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Italiancook.
        BakerAunt
        Participant

On Tuesday, I made Turkey (well, Chicken) Wild Rice Soup. The recipe came from one of those Pillsbury cooking booklets, Holiday Classics II, #34. I delete the salt, and I lighten it up by using 2 cups of 1% milk rather than half and half, and I use a stick of unsalted butter instead of margarine. I also increased the wild rice by half. It is perfect comfort food for a day with blowing dust, and now I have lunch for the week.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by BakerAunt.
          aaronatthedoublef
          Participant

I made pancakes for dinner yesterday in honor of National Pancake Day. I made plain, strawberry, and chocolate chip. Thinking about it now I should have mixed the chocolate chips with the strawberries! Oh well... Next time.

Tomorrow will be some kind of stir fry. I'm going to see if I can get my kids to eat spinach if I mix it with oil and at meat high heat!

KIDPIZZA
            Participant

I made pancakes for dinner yesterday in honor of National Pancake Day. I made plain, strawberry, and chocolate chip. Thinking about it now I should have mixed the chocolate chips with the strawberries! Oh well… Next time.

Tomorrow will be some kind of stir fry. I’m going to see if I can get my kids to eat spinach if I mix it with oil and at meat high hea

[/quote

AARON:
              I enjoy making my Mothers's recipe for "SPINACH LENTIL" soup. Try that for your children to eat in their diet. My eye DR. says eat a lot of spinach to preserve & maintain the eye health.

In any event Aaron I always employ OLIVE OIL, garlic & onions where Spinach is used.

Enjoy the day.

~KIDPIZZA.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by KIDPIZZA.
              BakerAunt
              Participant

Cass--any chance that you would share that Spinach-Lentil Soup recipe with us?

cwcdesign
                Participant

I just wanted to say that even though I haven't been posting, I've been reading and it's exciting to see so many posts.

I haven't been making anything new lately. Just sticking to our tried and true crockpot and sheet pan dinners.

EDIT: And here's what I get for posting quickly early in the morning before work. I actually made 2 things in the past week - one a disaster and the other almost perfect.

I have been looking for low carb snacks and saw a recipe for roasted chickpeas which I think were supposed to be sort of like nuts. They were awful! Some burned, some were mushy on the inside and I tossed them all out.

The other recipe was for cheesy cauliflower breadsticks or pizza crust. As I said, they were almost perfect. The recipe I tried had too much egg in it, so they were flat and tasted too eggy (duh), but they were still highly edible. I've found another version (or 2) I'm going to try and will report back. That's how much promise the breadsticks have.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by cwcdesign.
                  BakerAunt
                  Participant

On Thursday, I sautéed vegetables, and added the leftover chicken, drippings and poultry seasoning. I combined it with buckwheat (soba) noodles and garnished it with parsley and green onion.

luvpyrpom
                    Participant

Didn't do much adventure cooking this past week. I had taken out a chunk of the ham I had frozen from last month and used that to saute with various vegetable stir fries during the week. I guess this would fall into the cooking part but I've been experimenting with making my own version of instant oatmeal packets. I thought I would make half a recipe first to see how it tasted and totally forgot halfway putting it together. So half the oats and sugar but full strength of cinnamon and nutmeg. Wow, was the flavor strong! So added more oats and sugar to balance it out. Now I'll be set for breakfasts in the morning.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.