What are You Cooking the Week of December 30, 2018?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of December 30, 2018?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

As 2018 comes to a close, I am using up turkey leftovers. For Sunday dinner, I will saute onion, celery, and mushrooms in a bit of olive oil, then mix with the defatted drippings from our turkey. I'll add some cut-up turkey, then some frozen broccoli (which is a lot less expensive than fresh in the store!). I'll add a bit of evaporated milk and some dried sage, then mix it with noodles. That will give us leftovers for New Year's Eve as well.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by BakerAunt.
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

The downside of having had duck for Christmas dinner is that there weren't many leftovers. I did get several quarts of duck stock for the freezer to replace some of what we lost when the freezer died a few months back.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

Today we had baked chicken,macaroni and cheese,turnips and mustard cooked together with ham seasoning and hog jowl and corn bread.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Made a big pot of Brunswick stew that'll be for several meals.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

Brunswick Stew again.

BakerAunt
              Participant

For Tuesday’s New Year’s dinner, I made maple-glazed pork tenderloin, mashed Yukon Gold potatoes w/skins; and black-eyed peas. We also had applesauce that I made in November and froze. Dinner was great, the dessert not so great.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Wednesday I cooked cubed pork,left over turnips and mustard greens,potato salad and cornbread.Thursday we took our son to the airport so we ate at Outback Steak House.Tonight we had the rest of the Brunswick Stew.
                  We had the best time with our son,sure hated to see it end and he sure enjoyed some good country cooking.

chocomouse
                  Participant

It sounds to me like your son was really pampered, and I'm sure he enjoyed it. Does he visit you often?

navlys
                    Participant

I made a variation of BA's chicken rolled in panko etc recipe. I had some cornmeal crackers which I crushed and used instead of panko and mixed the panko with Mexican grated cheeses instead of the Parmesan. I used the light mayonnaise. Hubby liked and I did too.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

Chocomouse our son makes it home about once a year,he lives near Dallas,Texas.Yes he was pampered even though he's 45yrs. he's still my boy lol.
                        Tonight I used up some of the last left overs and made lima bean soup.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I made a batch of custard today.

navlys
                          Participant

I bought what I thought was a pork tenderloin but it turned out to be a 2lb pork LOIN. I should have known better. I have never seen a 2 lb tenderloin. Anyway I baked the loin (cut it in half)and it was not tender. How do those marinated in a bag loins turn out so well?

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

Pork loin is not the same as pork tenderloin,I've done the same before not paying attention and got wrong thing.Pork loin is more like a roast,gotta cook lower heat and longer.
                              No cooking here today just sandwiches.

chocomouse
                              Participant

I made turkey soup, using broth and veggies from the freezer, plus orzo. It hit the spot on a cold, windy night with off and on blowing snow.

Joan, my son is also 45, and still my boy, always will be. He lives about 15 minutes away, but with three teen-age daughters, he's busy and I don't see him very often.

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

Chocomouse our son is divorced,they have 3 kids,grandson is 19,granddaughters are 16 & 17.They are at age they rather stay with friends than come to the country.It was a different story when they were little.The girls are very involved big time with soccer.Love'em and hugg'em while you can they grow up way to fast.

Tonight I made taco salad.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.