What are you Cooking the Week of August 4, 2024?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of August 4, 2024?

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Friday night's dinner was my Mom's Hamburger Stroganoff served over a mixture of brown and wild rice and accompanied by microwaved fresh green beans from our garden. The hamburger stroganoff is likely a 1950s recipe, and it was what she frequently served to company in the 1960s. I have given it a healthy makeover by using 93% lean ground beef and draining off the grease, using a pound of fresh mushrooms rather than canned, eliminating the butter and using a bit of olive oil, and replacing all of the sour cream with Chobani non-fat Greek yogurt. I also replace white rice with the brown and wild rice mixture. For my husband, I have to eliminate the fresh onion, so I substitute dehydrated onion. I still use the can of Campbell's Cream of Chicken soup, but I use the variety with less salt and fat.

Joan Simpson
      Participant

I went with my sister in law and family to Waffle House and had Bacon, eggs, hash browns and raisin toast.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I picked about 5 pounds of tomatoes today, the first significant harvest of the season.

We had tuna salad in tomatoes for supper. Ah, summer!

RiversideLen
          Participant

The picture of Joan's pizza whet my appetite for pizza. So today I made pizza. I didn't want to pre heat the pizza stone for an hour so I made it in a pan. I used 3 layers of cheese.

For the first layer, I put some directly on the crust and then baked it for 5 minutes to melt it. It would have been better if I had thin slices but I only had shredded.

Pizza‑1

Then I sauced it and applied a thin layer of parm.

pizza‑2

Then I added the toppings (sausage, pepperoni and onion) and topped it with cheese.

pizza‑3

20 minutes later in a 450 degree oven, it turned into YUM!

pizza‑4

I have enough for tomorrow's dinner. I also had a salad with it.

Attachments:
            You must be logged in to view attached files.
            Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Nice set of pictures and a great looking pizza.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

Your pictures of pizza looks great Len!

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

Yeah, it makes me want to do pizza again soon.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.