What are You Cooking the Week of August 19, 2018?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of August 19, 2018?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Today I made two batches of peach jam. The details will be on the canning thread.

For dinner, I roasted chicken thighs that I brushed with olive oil and sprinkled with Penzey's Ranch dressing mix. That's a lot less Ranch dressing mix than I used the first time I tried this recipe!

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

For supper tonight I made grilled ham and cheese sandwiches with home cut fries.

BakerAunt
        Participant

We finished the leftovers last night, so I needed to cook tonight. I made the All-American Potato Salad, with the last of those Rose potatoes from the Farmers' Market. (I'll need to try one of their other varieties and hope it will work as well.)

I made the Turkey-Zucchini Meatloaf with Peach Dijon topping. I tried increasing the oats to 2/3 cups and the zucchini to 1 1/2 cups. I also used 1/3 cup peach jam and close to 2 Tbs. Dijon (finished the jar).

navlys
          Participant

I didn’t cook but my bestie in N.H. did. She made scallops baked in the oven,topped with stuffing,lemon juice and butter,served with asparagus and oven fried potatoes. Scallops were delicious and on sale for $8.95.

RiversideLen
            Participant

I made a burger which I had on a homemade bun (I've been a bit lazy and haven't made them in 2 or 3 weeks) and a rather large salad.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

I made a small pot of potato soup tonight.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Joan--don't you love it when it gets slightly cool and soup can be on the menu again?

For lunch on Thursday, I made Vegetable-Lentil-Barley Soup, using the potato water left from cooking the potatoes yesterday for the potato salad. I sautéed chopped onion, chopped celery, chopped red bell pepper, and a bit of garlic before adding about 4 cups of the potato water, 1 cup lentils, 1/4 cup pearl barley, and 1 tsp. Penzey’s Bouquet Garni. Once it had all cooked, I added some freshly ground pepper. It made enough for four or so days more.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by BakerAunt. Reason: added missing information
                  chocomouse
                  Participant

BLTs are the menu every night at our house!! Tomorrow I plan to make a big batch of pesto to use up a lot of my basil.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Yes BakerAunt glad it's cooling down a little we love soup and tonight we had chili.
                      Chocomouse we love BLT"s too!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by Joan Simpson.
                      Joan Simpson
                      Participant

Last night I made the Mexican casserole,tonight we had chili,cheese and onion over a hot dog.

BevM
                        Participant

It hasn't cooled off any where I am, but I made some minestrone soup (minus the pasta) any way. The temperature is still in the 90's in the daytime and low 70's at night. Sure tasted good. I wish I could can some jars however, I don't have a canner. My mother used to can lots from the garden every year.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

Bev the cooling off here is high 80's and low 90's still hot but I'm cooking soups.

BevM
                            Participant

I'm so looking forward to lower humidity and some cool mornings. I figure anything I cook, besides salads, is going to be hot! Today I made pasta with mushroom and garlic sauce for my family. It was hot (not spicy) but really tasty. My granddaughter is vegetarian so it was perfect for her.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.