What are you Cooking the Week of August 18, 2024?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of August 18, 2024?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

My wife heads back to work tomorrow to get ready for the fall semester at UNL. Where did the summer go??

Rainy afternoon here, I was hoping to do an eye-of-round roast outside, might have to do it inside.

Mike Nolan

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

I had a turkey club sandwich and chips.

BakerAunt
        Participant

We've had rain, off and on, with pop up showers throughout today. Humidity makes it seem hotter than it is.

On Saturday, I found some wonderful peaches from Michigan at the farmers market, so I bought a bag of thirteen for $12. It was the same vendor from whom I had bought the blueberries a few weeks ago, so I trusted the peaches would be good, and they are. On Sunday afternoon, I use seven to make peach jam, which I canned, for a total of four 8 oz. jars and one 4 oz. jar. I will either bake or just eat the other peaches, but I like to have at least one batch of peach jam, and we do not always get good peaches at the farmers market.

For dinner, I used the rest of the roast chicken (the breast meat) to make chicken salad for open face sandwiches on the Icelandic Rye Bread I baked this morning.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I did do the eye of round indoors and we had it for dinner with a salad. One of those meals where I miss mashed potatoes. :sigh:

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Tomato and tuna fish for supper tonight, the cat will be happy. 🙂

Joan Simpson
              Participant

I had chicken Caesar salad with a ear of corn.

BakerAunt
                Participant

We re-ran last night's dinner of chicken salad on Icelandic Rye Bread.

RiversideLen
                  Participant

I had a hamburger, salad and an ear of corn.

navlys
                    Participant

I made flatbread pizza with sausage and pineapple. Tonight will be steak salad. On a side note I finally found a successful way to store cilantro. I washed and dried it and put it in a container with a damp paper towel on the bottom and a damp paper towel on top . I sealed the container (glass) and it is still fresh 4 days later. I had tried other techniques and they didn't work!

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

We're doing something with the eye of round tonight, probably either on a salad or in sandwiches.

chocomouse
                        Participant

Today I made a big batch of tomato sauce, using tomatoes from the garden. I also put in chopped green onions, green peppers, celery, and zucchini. I added hot Italian sausage (ground and cooked) to some of it which we will have, along with a salad, on penne for dinner.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

Navlys--thanks for the Cilantro hint! My husband does not like it (his family members seem to carry the gene that makes it taste to them like soap), but it would be nice to add some to food that only I am going to eat.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

My elder bonus son is visiting for a week. For dinner, I made Spaghetti Squash Turkey Lasagna. I needed to use up a pound of mushrooms, so I added double the usual amount. I also sauteed red bell pepper, celery, and kale to go into the sauce. I did not have enough of our tomatoes to make sauce yet (am savoring those that I do for turkey bacon and tomato sandwiches!), so I used a large can of fire-roasted chopped tomatoes and a smaller can of plain chopped ones, to which I added minced garlic and dried onion. Given the amount of extra vegetables, I used an Emile Henry 9 ½ x 12 1/2-inch casserole dish that is 3-inches deep. We enjoyed it with an ear of sweet corn each, that we bought this morning from our favorite local place.

I also made yogurt today, a regular project that was delayed for three days because I had so much else to do.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

I had fried bacon, steamed squash with onions and a baked potato.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

I had a big salad with some of the eye of round on it. Diane had some salami and cheese.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.