What are You Baking the Week of September 17, 2017

Home Forums Baking โ€” Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of September 17, 2017

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Italiancook
    Participant

I made dinner rolls that use cottage cheese in the dough. Have made them before. This time, I did two things wrong: (1) For the second rise, I put the balls of dough in a muffin pan. The recipe clearly says to put them in a 9" round pan. Nevertheless, I didn't notice that. (2) I set the baking timer for hours, not minutes. I ended up with beautifully brown rolls, but they're too crusty. I saved one for my broccoli soup dinner (from freezer), and gave the rest to my husband. He likes crusty bread.

The problem with these goofs is that I had planned to freeze the rolls for guests in October. I ended up with a product I wouldn't serve to a guest. It's one thing for us to eat them, quite another for guests.

I also made blueberry pancakes this morning. I'm going to call those my baking/cooking for the day, since I did those successfully.

BakerAunt
      Participant

Don't feel too bad, Italian Cook. I've also inadvertently set a timer for hours rather than minutes. Sigh.

While we are on the subject of kitchen goofs, when I was making my sandwich buns yesterday in the bread machine, I started it, and thought that does not sound right. I looked inside and it was liquidy. Then I realized that I'd not added the 2 cups of regular flour to the whole wheat flour. (I have to go outside to the garage apartment to get my whole wheat flour out of the refrigerator, and thus forgot to add the regular flour when I returned.) I quickly put the rest of the flour in, and as it was only three minutes into the kneading cycle, all was well.

As I said before, anyone who says that he or she never makes mistakes in cooking or baking is either lying or does not cook or bake.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by BakerAunt.
        Joan Simpson
        Participant

Well said BakerAunt,I've made plenty of mistakes also.Today I made a coconut custard pie with the last crust I had in the freezer.I made a new batch of pan grease this afternoon also.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I ordered a copy of that book.

navlys
            Participant

Ok, this is not baking but whatever . I eat instant oatmeal for breakfast and I discovered that if I crunch one TJ's ginger snap (they have real ginger bits) into my oatmeal along with splenda I'm in heaven. Oh and I add a little coconut milk. HMMMM

BakerAunt
              Participant

Thanks for posting that Navlys. It made me realize that while I have no Trader Joe's nearby, I do have crystalized ginger that I could use in my oatmeal when I want some variety.

Italiancook
                Participant

Navlys, thanks for an excellent oatmeal idea. Every 6-10 days, I make Kelsey Nixon's "Slow Cooker Irish Oatmeal." It makes enough to last me 6 days. I'm the only one who eats oatmeal. It uses 2 teaspoons cinnamon. I make this so often, the taste has become humdrum. I had thought about using cardamom, but ginger will be my first try. Thanks for posting.

aaronatthedoublef
                  Participant

I like the ginger on oatmeal idea, especially as oatmeal time is now (after a week of 80s and 90s we are having nights in the 40s).

We can buy caster sugar here at Whole Foods and we needed it for some recipe. Had I known that it's just an English name for super fine sugar I would never have bought because it was stupid pricey but my wife likes to follow recipes and this was one from Jamie Oliver. And now that we have it I will not throw it away because it was stupid pricey. ๐Ÿ™‚

And while much has dropped in price since the Amazonization of Whole Foods, they've yet to touch the baking aisle ingredients.

If you've ever read any of Rick Riordan's books he has one where his heroes must fight the queen of the Amazons who is, of course, the true head of Amazon (sorry Jeff B). It is the Amazons' secret plan to have us all buy everything from them and that is how they will conquer the world!

This book is about old so Mr. Riordan was pretty prescient.

cwcdesign
                    Participant

I wonder if that is where Mr Bezos came up with the name for the company?

BakerAunt
                      Participant

If you read Jasper Fflorde's Thursday Next series, there is a company called Giant that is out to control all commerce AND government. I'm pretty sure that satire is directed at Amazon.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.