What are you Baking the Week of October 30, 2022?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of October 30, 2022?

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Butter has gone up in price, too, the sale price used to be $2.99/pound, now it's $3.99/pound and a limit of 1 or 2.

I wonder if the dairy farmers are seeing any of that increase? Kinda doubt it.

The WSJ has run stories talking about butter shortages, though I haven't seen signs of that here. But I don't buy restaurant/bakery quantities of butter.

Joan Simpson
      Participant

I always buy store brand butter mostly from Target Good Gather it's been $2.79-$3.99 the last I bought was $4.69 ,I don't use any margarine.

My husband told me today the brownies was some of the best I've ever baked so that made me happy.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I have made the Katharine Hepburn brownies a few times, they're almost flourless and really rich, you want them thin and cut into small pieces.

I suspect gluten-free flour could be used with little change in their taste or structure.

navlys
          Participant

Supposedly toasted milk powder ads a caramelized flavor to cookies, cakes and etc. Just was interested to know if anyone was familiar with this. A google search will bring it up!

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Hadn't heard of toasted powdered milk before this. I can see how caramelizing the sugar in powdered milk might have an impact on flavor.

BakerAunt
              Participant

On Friday, I baked Pumpkin Pecan Loaf cake in the Nordic Ware loaf pan that features a pumpkin and wheat design. The recipe is from the Nordic Ware site, but I use half white whole wheat flour, and I cut back the granulated sugar by 25 % and reduced the brown sugar from ½ to 1/3 cup. I use homemade pumpkin puree, so I delete the half cup of milk and add 2 Tbs. Bob's Red Mill milk powder. I omit the vanilla, as it is not needed with the spices. I also omit the raisins because I am not a fan of raisins in pumpkin bread or cake. I reduce baking time to about 48 minutes.

I used The Grease, and the cake came out without a problem.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.