What are you Baking the Week of October 15, 2023?

Home Forums Baking โ€” Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of October 15, 2023?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I might make an apple pie today, since I'll be making and canning some apple pie filling.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

My elder bonus son arrived for a visit on Sunday morning. After his father picked him up at the airport, they arrived here at 10:30. I put together brunch featuring my adaptation of King Arthur's Butterscotch Apple Sweet Rolls. I had made the filling last year and frozen it, so it was easy to put them together this morning. We had them with scrambled eggs.

Ken Haedrich has a recipe for Yeasted Olive Oil Dough that he uses for flatbread or crispy pizza crust. I modified the recipe, so while I use his suggested variation of half whole wheat flour, I replace the remaining AP flour with King Arthur's Italian-Style flour and add 2 Tbs. semolina flour. In the early summer, I used the crust to make one giant flatbread, which we broke into crackers and ate with soup. On Sunday, I made the dough again, but to control the baking better, I divided the dough in half, and once I had rolled out a half, I brushed it with avocado oil, then cut the piece into 5x5 cm crackers. I also baked each pan at 375F convection, on the second rack up (middle of the oven) for ten minutes, turning halfway through the time. After removing it from the oven, I separated all the crackers, then carefully pushed them off the parchment onto the still hot pan and let them cool there without touching each other. I have not sampled any tonight, but they are crisp and should be thick enough to hold up to being spread with hummus or dipped into it without breaking. I will be making hummus tomorrow and testing them. The taste, I noted, last time I made them, is not assertive, so they should go well with a variety of toppings or dips.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I was hoping to bake the 2nd batch of sourdough cheese crackers tomorrow afternoon, but I've got something else scheduled so I might not get to them until Tuesday. The apple pie will probably be kicked to then as well. I haven't even made the piecrust yet, and it needs to rest overnight.

chocomouse
          Participant

Our dinner tonight was kielbasa with pan-fried potatoes, butternut squash, and onions.

BakerAunt
            Participant

On Monday, I baked Lime Pecan Biscotti, using two limes from my tree.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

I've been running around all day visiting friends and with my sister in law so we had a big lunch at a local Chinese place,really good and I had enough for tomorrow. I also made another batch of pie crusts so I've got 5 , 4 will go in the freezer.

aaronatthedoublef
                Participant

BA, your pizza dough sounds interesting. I've always used lean doughs but I wonder if adding a little olive oil in the mix might make it even crisper.

I made a modified KAF crumb coffee cake. I only used 2/3s of the crumb top. I think I might start the bake and then add the topping five minutes in rather than when I start it.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

Aaron--the original recipe for the flatbread has an egg in it, which I have sometimes added. Once I forgot it, and the crust was crisper on the flatbread. I might try the cracker recipe again without the egg. If you are interested, I can post the basic recipe that I have developed so far. I've been making it in the bread machine, since my mixer does not handle small amounts of dough well. The King Arthur Italian-style flour really does make a difference in crackers, although I use half whole wheat for the nutrition. I only tried the Italian-style because one of my sisters sent me some in a King Arthur goodies package for Christmas a couple of years ago. I've made a King Arthur recipe with it, but it is one where the dough rests for about 12 hours in the refrigerator, and after baking, the crackers are left in the oven overnight after it is turned off. It's the second part that is a problem, if I am baking in the afternoon and want the oven for making dinner.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Today I made another pumpkin pie with the rest of the puree I had made up in the fridge.Crusts look good and the pie looks good.I'll try it tomorrow.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

I baked half of the sourdough cheese crackers today, the first tray on a regular oven setting and the second tray using a convection cycle.

I can taste the cheese now, but they're still missing something. I left the grapeseed oil and salt off this time, but did add a little salt to the dough.

I am getting the mechanics of using the sheet roller worked out for crackers, though. Mostly it just takes some practice, like making laminated dough does.

I'm wondering if I need to let a tray of them rise for a while before baking them.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

Here's what the second tray looked like, I did them for a total of 9 minutes at 325 using a convection cycle. I did NOT rotate the pan, you can see that the top part (which was to the left side of the oven) is more well-done than the bottom part, though both appear to be fully baked inside.

So it seems the convection cycle in my oven doesn't even baking temperatures out across the entire baking area as much as I would have liked. That's something I've wondered about but never tried to test.

IMG_0741

Attachments:
                          You must be logged in to view attached files.
                          BakerAunt
                          Participant

The crackers still look good, Mike. With the sheeter, you may be able to get them thinner than I can by hand--about 1/16th inch.

I always rotate the tray halfway through, even on the convection setting. In my oven, I bake the crackers on the third rack up, but I think that a lot depends on your oven. I also make sure the tray is towards the front of my oven. When all else fails, I quietly consume the overly brown ones!

On Tuesday, I made dough for my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers. I will bake them at the end of the week.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

I think even the one at the top right corner of the photo is edible. Some of the first tray got a little darker than I wanted, too. Every day you learn something else about baking.

Measuring the thickness of very thin and soft things like cracker dough can be challenging. You can't just put them in a micrometer. ๐Ÿ™‚

Assuming I understand the settings on my sheeter (and that they're accurate), I had it set on 2mm thickness at the end. They're on parchment so that has to be factored out. A sheet of parchment paper is about 1/500 of an inch thick, so that would make them about 1.95 mm thick, or 0.073 inches, which is a bit thicker than 1/16 of an inch but thinner than 3/32.

I can measure the thickness of the baked crackers using my micrometer, they're mostly between 2.8 and 3.8 mm thick.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

Crackers look good Mike.

aaronatthedoublef
                                Participant

BA - I used to use 00 flour but it didn't feel like it added anything. I might try it again but it is so stupid expensive. I am scared to look at how much the KAB Italian flour is now. Caputo used to be $5 for 3lbs at Whole Foods. I am not sure they even carry it anymore. They have so many alternative flours it has crowded out a lot of the regular baking supplies. Plus they won't carry things like Dutch coco.

Mike - do you put them through your sheeter on parchment? And how do you cut them? I use a square biscuit cutter but yours look perfect.

Our convection ovens at home are not consistent across the whole oven. Convection is closer but still not consistent. Even the convection ovens where I volunteer have big differences between the top couple racks and the bottom. I don't know about the commercial service but the home service people I've used don't know how to calibrate and oven and some, like mine, can only be calibrated at the factory.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.