What are you Baking the Week of May 26, 2024?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of May 26, 2024?

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Joan--Your banana cake looks luscious. It reminds me that I have a banana cake recipe with a light cream cheese frosting. I need some people around so that I can bake it again.

BakerAunt
      Participant

I baked a new recipe on Friday: Raisin Rye Bread. It originally appeared in Food and Wine in December 2007, but I printed it from the internet in April 2017, so it was in my pile of recipes to try. The recipe is by Lionel Vatinet, and the headnote says that he developed it "to satisfy his Eastern European customers.

I replaced the AP flour with Bob's Red Mill Artisan Bread flour and used Bob's dark rye flour. I reduced the salt from 1 1/4 to ¾ tsp., added 2 Tbs. milk powder, and added 2 Tbs. avocado oil, since breads without any fat do not last well. I also added a scant cup of walnuts. The recipe specifies a 9-inch enameled cast iron casserole. I used the bread bowl I bought from King Arthur some years ago, which is ideal for 3 ½ cups of flour recipes. As always, I greased it and sprinkled it with farina.

I did the mixing in the bread machine. It was a very sticky dough. The first rise took just an hour rather than ninety minutes, but that is not unusual. The loaf baked at 450 F. I let it go the 35 minutes specified, and that was a mistake. I should have checked it 5 minutes earlier, so it is darker on top than I would like, and the internal temperature was 211 F rather than 200 F. It's cooling on the rack. I plan to have a slice or two for breakfast tomorrow with cream cheese on it.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Here is a quick analysis of the two new recipes I baked this week:

We each had a slice of Barley Orange Bread for dessert on Saturday. The flavor of the Cara Cara orange is just right and balances nicely with the barley, so I would make it again with my changes.

As for the Raisin Rye Bread: I had some slices for breakfast, and it is a nice hearty loaf. My husband later had a slice and he liked it as well. I want to bake the recipe again and see if I can correct the slightly depressed center, as well as not overbake it. I also think that the bread needs to rest about a day before cutting into it, as I thought it slightly gummy this morning, but that is no longer the case this evening.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.