What are you Baking the week of June 30, 2019?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the week of June 30, 2019?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Any Baking going on? It's in the 90's again, so unless I want to to bake pitas on the sidewalk nothing's happening here.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

It's in the 90s here as well, so the oven is staying off.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

And we just figured out that the 2nd floor AC isn't working. It just had its summer checkup just before we left on vacation.

chocomouse
          Participant

It's almost cold here! 68 and dropping. I'm thinking about putting the quilt back on the bed -- perfect night for sleeping. And we've had over 2 inches of rain in the past 48 hours. We'd had several days of sun, and the garden was beginning to look green instead of yellow. I hope you can get that ac fixed quickly, Mike.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Looks like the A/C breaker had tripped not sure why but it seems to be cooling OK today. It took a while to get the 2nd floor cooled down, of course.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Glad to hear the AC is working, Mike.

I started my baking projects on Monday morning, as it will be a warm day. I first baked my Lower-Fat Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers from the dough I made a week ago. I don’t usually keep it this long, but I was hoping for a break in the weather. The crackers came out fine. I then made the KAF Maple Granola (recipe on their site—not the one in the Whole Grain Baking Book). I again reduced the coconut from one cup to a half cup. I decided to leave the salt at ½ tsp., I used pecans (still working my way through those from our former home in Texas), and I added ½ cup pumpkin seeds. I added 2 cups of raisins after the granola finished baking, as my husband does not care for cranberries or apricots. In this hot, humid weather, when my husband is working around the yard and house, he seems to do better with slightly salty snacks, and those with potassium and magnesium seem to help as well. I was surprised that he really liked the granola, which he finds a delectable snack. I like to mix it into my Greek yogurt, or occasionally to have it for breakfast without milk.

Addendum: I also delete the vanilla--no point in covering up the maple flavor! I baked the granola in the large pan I used to use for Chex mix instead of messing with two separate short pans.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by BakerAunt.
                RiversideLen
                Participant

It's hot and humid here too, I made burger buns late last week and when those are gone I'll be buying bread for a little while. But I do plan on making a cake for the 4th, I plan on frosting it to look like a flag. I have a picture in my head and a plan on how to do it but I'm not 100% sure I'm going to actually do it as sometimes my plans don't sync up with my actions.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

Well, you could try this:
                    Flag cake

RiversideLen
                    Participant

That looks wonderful, Mike, but it ain't gonna happen here!

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

It probably isn't something I would try, either. My iPhone news app had a similar recipe a few days ago with what looked like even more complicated instructions. The purist in me wonders how hard it would be to do it with 13 stripes like a real flag using a cake splitter, like you would use to make a dobosh torte.

RiversideLen
                        Participant

I made my cake. Now, I never said that I was a cake decorator. It's funny though, how it looked in my head before I executed it. I think it needs a little help from Betsy Ross but it will have to do.

IMG_0663

Attachments:
                          You must be logged in to view attached files.
                          BakerAunt
                          Participant

Great cake, Len!

Wednesday was a mixed day in the cramped apt. kitchen in which I am still baking and cooking. I successfully baked Jam-Oatmeal Bars, from that recipe S. Wirth cited (and that I’ve made twice before now). This time I used mostly mixed berry jam that I canned last year, with a bit of my black raspberry jam to make 10 oz.

My second Wednesday project was to be Wheat-Oat Flax Buns, which I planned to use for a 4th of July meal. However, I had too much on my mind, and I accidentally used not enough liquid. I was ¼ cup and a couple of Tablespoons off. I thought the dough looked and felt rather odd after I took it out of the bread machine. At the end of the process, instead of the wonderful light texture, I ended up with what are more like biscuits, without much rise. We decided to have them as biscuits along with leftover chicken and a salad.

I’d planned another project for this evening--a special sweet roll for the July 4th festivities--but I will wait and make it tomorrow or the next day.

chocomouse
                            Participant

Len, your cake looks great -- and delicious!!

95 degrees here today, so early this morning I started English muffins. Not a great day with liquids in my kitchen today, either, Baker Aunt! I do not know what I did, but I ended up adding about 3/4 cup (estimate) of flour as I kneaded it! And I made 3 more muffins than I usually make! Yes, some humidity, but not 3/4 cup worth! I've made this recipe numerous times, often need to make slight adjustments with the buttermilk, but nothing like this. Husband says they taste great!

navlys
                              Participant

I went to the dollar store and picked up a box of brownie mix and two bags of York Peppermint Patties. I used a 9x9 pan and strategically placed the patties over half of the batter and then topped them with the rest of the batter. The patties did not melt as much as Andes mints would but the consensus was that they were very good. On another note I find it very difficult to determine when brownies are completely baked. The box said to stick a toothpick in 1" from the sides and see if it comes out clean. That wont work when you have candy sandwiched in between the layers. Sometimes I think it is just luck.

skeptic7
                                Participant

I did banana bread early on Tuesday morning. Its been very hot and humid here. I have the air conditioning on and am trying to avoid most cooking. I'd like to cook later in the week, but its going to be hot.
                                  Chocomouse;
                                  how many English Muffins did you make? Was this in the oven or on a griddle?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.