What are you Baking the Week of June 23, 2024?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of June 23, 2024?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Early Sunday morning, we had storms that brought us an inch and a half of needed rain. It was 71* when I got up, so I used the five overripe bananas that I bought on sale yesterday to bake six large Banana Oatmeal muffins with three bananas, and 30 mini-chocolate chip mini-muffins with the other two. I will freeze four of the large muffins and eighteen of the mini muffins. A front is coming through, so I will make the most of this day of respite before the heat returns tomorrow.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Speaking of heat, the projected high for tomorrow here is 105!

skeptic7
        Participant

I did another batch of mini scones. I was baking around 9:00 am just before it got too hot.
          High is suppose to be 85 or 86 today, about the same tomorrow. It was hotter yesterday.

cwcdesign
          Participant

I baked a tomato galette which I wrote about in the cooking thread.

With the humidity, it got up to 105 midday, with the nominal temperature being around 93. Currently (at 6 pm) it is 88* feeling like 100. Needles to say I try to do everything in the early morning and we are all drinking lots of water with Gatorade if needed.

BakerAunt
            Participant

I took advantage of the cooler weather this morning to do some concentrated baking. I baked Jam Oatmeal Bars (recipe at Nebraska Kitchen) using a jar of black raspberry jam from three years ago that I found in the cupboard, along with a bit of the last batch of jam that did not fit into the canning jars. I also baked Jammy Muffins, using a jar (also from three years ago) of Strawberry-Black Raspberry Jam. While I was working on those two projects, I also had a longer project, which was baking Ellen's buns as twelve rolls in a 10 x 10-inch pan. I will take the rest of the afternoon off.

chocomouse
              Participant

Yesterday I baked 2 loaves of pumpernickel bread. Today I made a carrot cake, but still need to make the cream cheese frosting for it.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

I baked 2 pans of Cinnamon rolls, one for the poker game and one for my sister in law.They turned out good.I haven't baked them in a long time.I usually add mashed potatoes or potato flakes and I forgot them.When I got the dough mixed I couldn't get the dang bowl to release. About had a fight with it and finally got the WD 40 and it came loose, I'm sure it was my fault. Y'all have a good night .

IMG_0930

Attachments:
                  You must be logged in to view attached files.
                  chocomouse
                  Participant

Those look yummy, Joan. I have also not baked cinnamon rolls for a long time, but now you've reminded me how good they are - thanks! My husband thanks you too!

BakerAunt
                    Participant

I returned to the kitchen on Friday night and made the dough for my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers. I will bake them early next week.

Italiancook
                      Participant

I also haven't baked cinnamon rolls in a long time. Now that I've seen your beauties, Joan, I'm guessing I'll make them next week. What type of icing did you use? I can't tolerate cream cheese, unfortunately, so I use a powdered sugar icing.

Joan, you recently gave us a beautiful photo of a Lemon Chess Pie you made for your yard man. Today, I saw Kevin Bolton make a Chess Pie on TV. He added cornmeal to it. I've never made one and felt surprised by the cornmeal. Does your recipe call for cornmeal?

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

Thanks for the comments on the cinnamon rolls they went over well tonight.

Chocomouse glad your husband is getting some cinnamon rolls soon tell him I said you're welcome!

Italiancook the icing on my rolls was cream cheese and the recipe for chess pie calls for flour or corn meal and flour .I'm posting the recipe from Mennonite Girls Can Cook .It's a great recipe.I just use flour.

http://www.mennonitegirlscancook.ca/2009/07/lemon-chess-pie.html

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.