What are you Baking the Week of January 2, 2022?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of January 2, 2022?

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

On Wednesday morning, I baked my version of the Whole-Grain Pumpkin Bread posted by Lemon Poppy on the old KAF Baking Circle. I used 2 cups of the fairytale pumpkin puree. I bake it as five small loaves (3x6 inches) and plan to freeze three of them. My husband and I agreed that the pumpkin bread was especially good this time, so it may be due to the fairytale pumpkin. I will buy another next fall if I get the chance.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I've always heard from growers at the farmers markets that fairytale/Cinderella pumpkins are not as flavorful as other varieties. Since I'm not fond of pumpkin in general, I've not tested that.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Mike--the fairytale pumpkin is NOT the same as the Cinderella pumpkin. The fairytale has a browner skin, smaller seed cavity, and is denser:  Pumpkin Fairytale Seed – Harris Seeds

The Cinderella is orange and contains much more water. When I tried it a few years ago, I worked hard for just a little bit of puree:  Cinderella Pumpkins Information, Recipes and Facts (specialtyproduce.com)

I was not impressed with the flavor or the texture of the Cinderella.

BakerAunt
          Participant

On Thursday, I made dough for my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers. I refrigerated it and will bake them next week.

BakerAunt
            Participant

On Saturday, I baked my adaptation of the Olive Oil Greek Yogurt Brownies from The Mediterranean Diet for Beginners.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I am making semolina bread, because I took the last of the previous batch and cut them up for croutons for potato leek soup.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Dinner on Saturday was savory baking. I adapted the recipe, New Potato, Spinach, and Blue Cheese Skillet Tart, from Ken Haedrich's The Harvest Baker. I chose it so that I could use up some spinach. I used some green onion in deference to my husband. I used some yellow, small potatoes in place of new potatoes. I replaced the bacon with some ham and the heavy cream with evaporated milk. The blue cheese was replaced with low-fat, pre-grated mozzarella, and I used ½ tsp. dried rosemary rather than 1 Tbs. fresh. I used my partly wholegrain oil crust and the technique that goes with it. I also used an Emile Henry 9-inch; ceramic pie plate rather than a 9½ or 10-inch iron skillet. In other words, I made do with what I had! At this point, it is a new recipe. My husband greatly enjoyed it, so I may be making it again.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.