What are You Baking the Week of February 7, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of February 7, 2021?

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Joan Simpson
    Participant

Chocomouse ut oh,well you had lemon muffins!

RiversideLen
      Participant

Chocomouse, at least you have blueberries for another project!

Tonight I made a batch of my sandwich buns.

chocomouse
        Participant

Len, I have enough blueberries for many projects!! I was trying to clean out my freezer (I have 2 large uprights) a bit by using up some of the probably 50 1.5 cup containers of blueberries I have from the last 2 summers. We grow them, I have 10 bushes, we have all we want to eat fresh and to give away and the rest we freeze. With the pandemic last summer, I rarely left the house and didn't see friends and neighbors, so didn't give away as many. I see a pie on the horizon - that will use up 4-5 cups!

BakerAunt
          Participant

Blueberry Cobbler!

chocomouse
            Participant

Yes!! Easier and faster than pie! I can use up 3-4 containers of berries. And I hate working with pie crust.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

Today I made a recipe of Hawaiian Rolls.I had some pineapple juice from canned sliced pineapple I needed to use so I gave it a try.They were excellent really light and so soft.I used a recipe from Cookies & Cups.I googled several recipes and read reviews.I did my own spin on how they were put together.Recipe said to melt butter- I didn't,my butter is kept on the counter so it was soft,and I used less flour than recipe called for,I fluff and stir then spoon in and level off so I used 3 1/2 -4 cups of flour after it had risen and then ready to make rolls it was a little sticky so I sprinkled a tablespoon of them and folded over.I got a 9x12 pan of rolls ,they rose to the top of pan.My yeast was regular Fleischmann's and I dissolved that in the warmed buttermilk and sugar,when that worked up I put everything in adding the flour gradually ,beat for several minutes.When they were panned up and risen I baked at 375* for 20 minutes,perfect.My husband even ate one with his supper.I gave over half away to my SIL.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Joan Simpson.
                BakerAunt
                Participant

Your rolls sound wonderful, Joan!

Italiancook
                  Participant

Now I know Hawaiian rolls have pineapple in them. Thanks, Joan. You have a blest sister-in-law for how generously you share with her. Your Hawaiian Rolls made me thirsty for pineapple juice, so I'm enjoying a glass of it now.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Thanks BakerAunt I was very happy with the rolls,they were a little big I could have cut them down smaller and gotten more but I was just trying them and didn't know how they'd turn out.When I portioned them the recipe said form in balls one recipe said to grease counter and cup and roll,I tried that they were sticking so I lightly sprinkled counter and dropped the dough ball on then cupped in my hand and that worked fine.They are really some of the lightest rolls I've ever made.Would be wonderful sliders.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

I began Saturday by baking a double recipe of the maple cookie recipe that I developed (no butter and low in saturated fat). My husband has pronounced them his favorite cookie.

I also baked two loaves of my Buttermilk Whole Wheat Grape Nuts bread, a favorite of my husband. I tweaked it slightly by increasing the special old yeast to 1 ½ tsp., which I combine with 2 tsp. regular yeast. I also increased the buttermilk from 1 2/3 to 1 ¾ cup. I started it in a 380F oven, then dropped the temperature to the usual 350F to see if I could get greater oven spring in this more whole wheat version, but the difference was marginal.

RiversideLen
                        Participant

I made a pumpkin pie.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.