What are You Baking the Week of February 5, 2017?

Home Forums Baking โ€” Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of February 5, 2017?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I won't start baking until later this week, but I'm starting the thread for those of you who may squeeze in some baking today while watching the Super Bowl.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I made an apple pie on Sunday morning and made popovers to go with supper before the Super Bowl.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Mike Nolan.
        BevM
        Participant

I baked my KAF recipe for Blueberry Buckle Coffeecake. I have to use more of last years' blueberries since my bushes are beginning to bud and bloom for this year. I'm hoping we don't get a last minute freeze to ruin the crop.

BakerAunt
          Participant

So far, I've only missed one week in my resolution to try a new recipe every week this year. On Tuesday, I baked "Lethal Layers," from Dying for Chocolate, a murder mystery series by Diane Mott Davidson, in which Goldy the caterer solves mysteries in between jobs. I made two changes: I used light brown sugar (I prefer the taste) and Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Chips (my husband is a dark chocolate fanatic). I also lined the pan with parchment paper. My husband and I liked them very much, so I will rename them "Luscious Layers." (Did someone else on this site also try them and call them Luscious Layers?)

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by BakerAunt. Reason: report on taste; re-wrote a sentence
            • This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by BakerAunt.
            Italiancook
            Participant

BakerAunt, you're doing better with your resolution than I. Congratulations!

Joan Simpson
              Participant

My sister came to visit a few days with me and I did a lot of baking,cold oven pound cake,cherry pie,one layer chocolate cake and I made a batch of cinnamon rolls yesterday.Well I mixed them up and the dough would not rise,waited like one and a half hours sooo went to town for more yeast by the way had already added and extra teaspoon while waiting but I added 2 &1/4 tsp more mixed it back up with a little more flour to compensate for the added water kneaded it well again and they rose almost over the bowl.They turned out well so I was a happy camper.Shared with all my kin folks near me and they're already gone.As far as the Super Bowl it was fantastic.I'm a Ga. girl but pulled for the Patriots.What a game.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Joan: Thanks for reporting on how you saved your sweet rolls when the first batch of yeast was ineffective. I probably would have thrown a fit and thrown the dough out. It is good to know that it is possible to save the recipe.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Bakeraunt I figured I could try, if it didn't work that would be OK because they surely weren't rising.They turned out really good,rose slam out the top of the bowl.With all the extra yeast it had no effect to the taste of the sweet rolls.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Joan Simpson.
                    aaronatthedoublef
                    Participant

Well, I just screwed up a batch of challah by using by 2 cup measure instead of my one cup! Score another point for weighing the ingredients... And I am out of eggs and oil and since we're hunkered down in blizzard I am not going out to get more. ๐Ÿ™ oh well. Tomorrow is another day.

I'll make pizza dough later. Challah tomorrow. And English muffins for the weekend.

cwcdesign
                      Participant

On Wednesday, I made another orange pound cake from KAF for my boss' family. I decided to put the drizzle on the bottom and letting the cake cool in the pan before putting it on the plate. It came out beautifully!! I did make a glaze from powdered sugar and oj to put on top. It wasn't quite thick enough to show, but it will still taste good.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

I tried another new recipe on Saturday (wow: I'm caught up!), "Asiago Bagel Buns, a.k.a. Faux Bagels," from The Baking Sheet (Winter 1999), p. 25. It's also on the KAF website. I wanted to use up some Sir Lancelot flour, and to use some of the non-diastatic malt powder I have in the freezer. They are called "faux" bagels because instead of the water bath, they get brushed with a solution of non-diastatic malt powder and water twice before going into the oven, and then once during baking. We each had a warm one with dinner. The flavor is good. The second rise might have been a bit too long, but the texture is good. I'll probably try the recipe again in the next couple of weeks, since I have the rest of the cheese to use up. I'm almost done with the Sir Lancelot flour (about one cup left), so I would have to use the Bob's Red Mill Artisan Bread flour in the pantry to make up the difference.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by BakerAunt. Reason: corrected sentence
                          BakerAunt
                          Participant

On Saturday evening, I baked the Brown Sugar Sour Cream Pound Cake from the KAF website. I used a Wilton Bundt pan from my mother that has 5 little hearts around the top. I also baked No Fail Sugar Cookies from the Fancy Flours website, rolled 3/8-inch thick, cut with a small heart cookie cutter and sprinkled with red jimmies. For the cookies, I increase the salt by a half teaspoon. As an experiment, this time I used Hudson Mill bleached flour. The cake and cookies are for the after service social time at church tomorrow.

Note: Kid Pizza is correct: bleached flour in cookie recipes with a lot of butter is the right choice. My cookies came out nicely crispy (baked 15 minutes, but also refrigerated a few minutes before putting the cookie sheet in the oven.

Baking Valentine's cookies makes me think of Livingwell (Penelope). I hope that she is reading, on either this site or Zen's site. I hope that she is baking her sugar cookies for the holidays.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by BakerAunt.
                            luvpyrpom
                            Participant

Sorry to post so late - I think I do better when I post at the end of the week then during the week.

I've never made any kind of casserole dish with tater tots and this week I tried making a cheesy bacon tater tot dish. I think next time I will add the bacon with the cheese as the bacon stayed at the bottom of the dish instead being on top.

Also tried KAF Maple Corn muffins both as is and adding a little bit of bacon in them. Very good, I think next time I will try to make them into a pan like regular cornbread.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.