What are you baking the week of August 18, 2019?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you baking the week of August 18, 2019?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

No baking plans here yet.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I baked my variation on the KAF Wheat-Oat Flax Buns on Sunday afternoon. As usual, I used water not orange juice and buttermilk for the remaining liquid. I cut the yeast to 2 tsp. and use just 1 1/8 tsp. salt. I reduced the honey to 2 ½ Tbs. I added 2 Tbs. special dry milk (to increase calcium). I reduced the AP flour by 2 Tbs., because the last few times I’ve made these, the dough was too dry and harder to shape into smooth balls. That seemed to work well. I did the dough in the bread machine. I decided to make ten rather than twelve buns, because they otherwise seem a bit small. We will use them for Sloppy Josephines for dinner.

Note: I was tempted to make Len's buns, but since I just made them as a bread, I decided some variety is in order.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by BakerAunt.
        skeptic7
        Participant

I had wanted to make blueberry scones last weekend but it was too hot. Yesterday I did it anyway but cooked it in a 8inch round pan in my slow cooker. I cooked it about 2 1/2 hours, might have been more, on high. The temperature was 140 degrees, but it wasn't wet or sticky when tested with a probe -- actually the stem of the thermometer. I used my normal whole wheat recipe but added some candied lemon peel which really enhanced the taste. The texture was great and I liked the shape better than when it was cooked in a smaller round pan.

BakerAunt
          Participant

On Wednesday afternoon, I used The Apricot Oatmeal Bars recipe on this site to make Mixed Berry Oatmeal Bars. I used a jar of my Three Berry Jam from last year (blackberry, strawberry, blueberry), and because it is not quite enough, I mixed in the rest of the jar of my Black Raspberry jam from last year. My only changes to the recipe are to reduce the brown sugar to ½ cup and the salt to 1/8th tsp.

chocomouse
            Participant

Today I made two loaves of the buttermilk-honey-oatmeal bread by Beth Hensperger. As usual, I subbed 2 cups of whole wheat for 2 cups of AP, and added flaxmeal. I let the bread machine knead while I made a grocery run, and the dough was ready for shaping when I got home.

BakerAunt
              Participant

I fed my sourdough starter on Wednesday evening, then mixed up a double recipe of my Lower Fat Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers. Last time I accidentally doubled the flax meal, and we liked the result, so I did that again. I’m also adding ¼ cup of Bob’s Red Mill powdered milk. The dough is wrapped in four packets in the refrigerator, where it will rest for a few days before I roll out and bake the crackers.

RiversideLen
                Participant

I made my weekly batch of Rye/semolin/wheat buns.

skeptic7
                  Participant

I did a second batch of blueberry bread in the slow cooker on Tuesday. I gave part of it away but refrigerated the rest so I could snack on it without having to cook.
                    Yesterday I did a cheese pizza -- I wish I could have done that in the slow cooker too, it was very hot in the Kitchen.

chocomouse
                    Participant

Yesterday I made a trifle, with layers of cake, sprinkled with raspberry cordial, lemon pudding, whipped cream, and blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries. This is the last week we'll have all those berries fresh from our garden at the same time - until next summer.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

On Saturday morning, I created a new recipe for Banana Oat Bran Muffins that are calcium-fortified. The one I ate this morning was delicious, with good texture. I will have another for breakfast tomorrow to see if they hold up well. The rest (I made six large ones) I will freeze for when I need a fast breakfast that meets my low-saturated fat and high calcium needs. I followed up the muffin with a 300mg serving of nonfat yogurt with blueberries that I added.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

I made my sourdough crust sheet pan pizza for dinner tonight. I used sliced tomatoes from our garden (I let the slices drain on paper towels for about an hour before using), along with browned ground turkey, mushrooms, red bell pepper, thinly sliced onion rings, diced low-fat mozzarella, and Parmesan.

chocomouse
                          Participant

I made whole wheat English muffins. Two of them disappeared fresh off the griddle!

skeptic7
                            Participant

Chocomouse;
                              Congratulations! Did you use your recipe? How many English muffins did it make? You really ought to try my recipe as it makes 9 muffins and you won't run out of rings. I like extra English Muffins as hamburger buns.

chocomouse
                              Participant

Skeptic, I used the KAF recipe for whole wheat muffins (2 cups whole wheat, 2 cups AP) and it made 12 muffins. I have 12 rings (thanks to you, instead of 8!) but cannot fit all 12 on my griddle at one time. As soon as they are cooked enough to remove the rings, I can place them staggered and closer together to fit all 12. I had one for breakfast this morning with fresh raspberry jam. And one for lunch yesterday, with honey mustard dressing, a thin slice of deli ham, and a slice of cheese - toasted first and then nuked to melt the cheese. I might try one as a hamburger bun, thanks for the idea.

skeptic7
                                Participant

Chocomouse;
                                  I thought you had 14 English Muffins last time. I am surprise the recipe only uses 4 cups of flour. I use 4 cups of flour in my recipe and it is suppose to make 8 muffins and actually makes 9.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.