Two Serious Issues

Home Forums General Discussions Two Serious Issues

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Nina Beyt
    Participant

I don't know which is more important: Well, first, Cindy is in the ER. Other than that, I know nothing else except she sent me an email asking for help resolving the next issue.

Issue Two: We are both getting x-rated spam from "bakingfriends". She tried an "unsubscribe" link and got this message "
      We have received a request from you to unsubscribe from the
      bakingfriends group. Please confirm your request by
      replying to this message. If you do not wish to unsubscribe from
      bakingfriends, please ignore this message.

Yes, we are both pretty computer 'unsavvy' but I told her I thought these groups we joined are not Yahoo groups, and therefore, this is just typical spam.

So, now Question One. Are any of the rest of you getting these x-rated spams from "bakingfriends"?
      Q. Two. Am I right that this site has nothig to do with Yahoo Groups?
      Q. Three. Do I tell her to just go ahead with the unsubscribe. She was afraid that would delete her from our legitimate groups.
      Yes, I know how dumb these questions sound.

Spread the word
      S_Wirth
      Participant

On June 3, I got an email from Jozy about spam email. She asked if I wanted to see it and I said no.

This is what she later wrote as to where the stuff came from:

Sarah
        This helps the one I got was from
        Bakingfriends@yahoogroups.com
        This does look like Kathy's old place.
        Thank you!!
        -----------
        I don't know any more.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Now you see why I will not have anything to do with yahoo groups! I'd recommend doing the unsubscribe, but I won't guarantee it gets rid of the spam. I've been trying to get off one specific yahoo group (that I never subscribed to!) for years, and there's another one I get email from every now and then that I never joined, either. (In both cases, I believe I was added by the group manager WITHOUT MY CONSENT.)

There's supposed to be an 'unsubscribe from all yahoo groups' option, but I'm not sure it has ever worked.

Sorry to hear about Cindy.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Mike Nolan.
          S_Wirth
          Participant

When the oldBC went down, KathyG started a yahoo groups thing. I went there one time and my computer screen turned bright green and froze...it took a lot to get things going again. I ran scans many times and cleaned out everything I knew how to. I never went back.

rottiedogs
            Participant

I've been getting it too. I did join Kathy's group after the old BC went down but never posted anything. I would be hesitant to click on anything in these emails. I just keep blocking the sender.

Keep us posted on Cindy.

S_Wirth
              Participant

On May 30, I had two long emails from Cindy. She said I could update BCers but I just never did. One thing that is awful, her insurance company quit paying for her pain meds. $ 1500.00 a month. The insurance paid for this for two years.

Here is one part of her email re meds:

I'm still in quite a bit of pain, but that's to be expected. I try not to take too
                much of the pain meds. The main reason is because the insurance company refuses to
                pay for the pills. Even though they paid for them for 2 years. Now, they change
                their little-bitty minds. It costs $1,500/month (90 pills that I'm SUPPOSED to take
                four a day). Who has that kind of money to spend on medications!!!!????!!!??? I hate
                insurance companies!

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by S_Wirth.
                Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I'd have to see the actual email, including headers, to be sure it came from Yahoo, but assuming it did come from Yahoo, I don't think confirming the unsubscribe will make things any worse and might result in some relief.

What I think about Cindy's situation isn't printable here.

cwcdesign
                  Participant

I thought that rparrny started a yahoo group for the baking circle. I have not received an invitation, but I wouldn't be surprised if she were sending invites from swirth's mailing list. But, if it's asking you to unsubscribe I would NOT reply to it; I would just delete it or put it in a junk or spam folder. Unless you specifically requested to join, you should not respond to these emails. As Mike said, Yahoo is notorious for this type of this thing.

S_Wirth
                    Participant

I asked Jozy what yahoo group it was from and I sent her the one rparrny started and that is when Jozy wrote this below: (so it is not rparrny's at all).

Sarah
                      This helps the one I got was from
                      Bakingfriends@yahoogroups.com
                      This does look like Kathy's old place.
                      Thank you!!
                      Jozy

> On Jun 3, 2016, at 4:45 PM, Sarah Wirth wrote:
                      >
                      > Here is that link on my list:
                      >
                      > https://groups.yahoo.com/group/bakingcircle (rparrny/Rivkah)

S_Wirth
                      Participant

This is the main parts of Cindy's one email on 5/30:

Sarah, it's so good to hear from you!

Let's see if I can bring you up to date without going on and on. Yes, I still have
                        Helen. I asked her what would happen once the vacs were all gone and she replied by
                        saying, "Honey, I'm your nurse for life!" I still have the vac on the left hip (very
                        long story. Suffice to say it was an idiot Doctor) and it might be another 2-3
                        months before it's completely healed. Helen comes 3 times a week and dresses
                        everything. Once a week she does the maintenance on my PICC line and once a month
                        she changes the Foley catheter. She also checks my entire body for anything new.
                        Bruises, bumps, cuts.........you know, all that sort of thing.

The very best news is that I have a caregiver, Rhonda. She's great! She comes in
                        from 6:30-12:30 Monday thru Friday. I've been very resistant to having someone in
                        the house with me. I'm now glad I was put in the position where I couldn't say no.
                        She has been a Godsend! I'm not only lucky, I'm blessed. This has taken the pressure
                        off Michael. Maybe his bad shoulder won't hurt as much.

I'm still in quite a bit of pain, but that's to be expected. I try not to take too
                        much of the pain meds. The main reason is because the insurance company refuses to
                        pay for the pills. Even though they paid for them for 2 years. Now, they change
                        their little-bitty minds. It costs $1,500/month (90 pills that I'm SUPPOSED to take
                        four a day). Who has that kind of money to spend on medications!!!!????!!!??? I hate
                        insurance companies!

That's about all for now. Feel free to update everyone.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

I have not received any spam e-mail of this type. I even checked my junk and spam files. My workplace is pretty good at bouncing suspicious ones (and sometimes legitimate ones).

I don't know whether to be angrier at the insurance companies for refusing to cover Cindy's medication, or at the drug companies for charging so much for what patients need.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt.
                          cwcdesign
                          Participant

Cindy just texted me and asked me to update you all. A brief explanation - I texted that I had read Nina's post and was sending prayers and healing thoughts but that my iPad had tried to send "healing thighs" Little did I know . . .

"Well, those healing thighs would have been good to have.

I developed cellulitis in my left foot/ankle and it shot up the back of the leg into the tendon in my thigh.

I had a great ER Doctor that 'got' it and set me up with everything I needed to be able to do the antibiotics at home. So, after 6 hours, Rhonda brought me home. I'll get the Vanc delivery tonight sometime and get started on that ASAP.

So, all's well that ends well! Your healing thoughts and prayers did the trick. See, someone up there was whispering.......thighs.......

Would you mind posting that you heard from me? I'm home and feeling much better!"

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.