Tupperware might go bankrupt

Home Forums General Discussions Tupperware might go bankrupt

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

The Times of London has a story today on how Tupperware is in major financial difficulty and might have to declare bankruptcy or close altogether.

Tupperware's business model no longer works, something most of the people I know who have been Tupperware dealers, including my wife, figured out at least 10 years ago.

I don't know if this link will work:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tupperware-could-go-out-of-business-3cqsfjthz

Another link:

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/tupperware-could-go-out-of-business-company-warns-rcna79115

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I can recall my mother going to and hosting Tupperware parties back in the 1960s, Tupperware did get on board with what I would call the virtual Tupperware party, as more women shifted into the workforce. My sister participated or hosted some of these where people at her workplace or relatives like me could order, and there was a shipping option as well. Both methods did seem like a lot of pressure for the dealers to sell more and more.

However, most of us have limits to how much Tupperware we need. There are also lots of plastic options out there available more conveniently. Some people are concerned about plastics for environmental and/or health reasons. Some of my older pieces have developed plastic smells.

One thing that Tupperware had going for it was that it was possible to replace lost or damaged lids, sometimes for free, and sometimes buying them. I have had several Rubbermaid tops break, and there is no replacement available. While I gave one to my husband for bailing out the rowboat after it rains, I do not like getting stuck with a perfectly good container with no top.

navlys
        Participant

I think the Tupperware from the 60's and 70's was thicker and higher quality. I still have pieces that are 40 years old.

navlys
          Participant

I think the Tupperware from the 60's and 70's was thicker and higher quality. I still have pieces that are 40 years old.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Tupperware has used a variety of types of plastics over the years, some may be more environmentally friendly than others. The softer plastics that were more common years ago might leach more chemicals into your foods, too.

BakerAunt
              Participant
              Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.